Thread: HDR process question

HDR process question

Thinking about downloading this software for producing HDR images http://www.hdrsoft.com/.

Its not clear to me as to whether or not moving subjects (such as the example of a moving boat on a riverin the above link) can be processed in HDR.

I'm new at the thought of HDRso....

How can 3 or more images be" fused together" correctly when there is a mobile object in a different position on every shot with a different setting?

Are there limits to moving subjects with HDR?

Re: HDR process question

I'm no expert but my impression was that you could align images if they're a little off from each other but i think that's more for if your camera shifts a bit between captures. I don't think a moving subject will work.

Alan

Yes, there are limits, and depending on the distance moved between images, you'll end up with ghosting. It will probably be severe, in this case. Sometimes, you can use just two images to complete the HDR with a moving object, but I doubt you'll get good results with the moving boat. If it were a big boat, moving slowly, your chances of success are much better.

Basically found out how others are doing HDR's of moving subjects. They take one image, tweak copies of it with several different exposures and then blend them.

Here is ones version ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/lighthouse/art/2824591-3-a-little-hdr-treatment

Some may not consider that a "true" HDR though?[*-)]

There's a post here somewhere (or I think in the news section of The
    Digital Picture) on step by step HDR image. One requirement is that you
    shoot in RAW, split them up and combine them in Photomatix. You'd be
    lucky if your cam can support -3 to +3 EV (I had a 50D, which only has
    -2 to +2 EV). For moving subjects, this is the only way to do HDR (as
    of now). Ghosting will still be an issue with multiple shots.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.15/IMG_5F00_3753_2B00_2_5F005F002D00_2-copy.jpg[/img]

Here's a sample taken with my 350D +18-55 kit lens + CIR POL, handheld single image to make this HDR pic.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.15/boracaybeach_5F00_hdr.jpg[/img]

Here's a sample taken with my 50D + 24-70L, handheld with three shots to make this HDR. Some ghosting were eliminated but some remain.