Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testament to Canon L Glass

Re: Testament to Canon L Glass

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    I dropped my Tokina 12-24 f/4 two feet down onto the metal floor of a van over the summer

Oops! I guess I won't be able to sell off my Tokina 12-24 on TDP.com anymore! []

I dropped my Tokina 12-24 f/4 two feet down onto the metal floor of a van over the summer

Oops! I guess I won't be able to sell off my Tokina 12-24 on TDP.com anymore! [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Maybe you can get extra for it, since it is a strong copy. []

My EFS 17-55mm IS lens a few years ago rolled off a waist high table where it fell onto the floor. When it hit the floor it made a loud crack where my jaw almost hit the floor as well. The floor was covered in berber carpet so there was a little padding but with that impact everything stopped working on it. Sent it in to Canon where the newspaper that I worked for covered the repair so I got lucky.

Every time I continue to perform a stupid balancing act with my lenses in my hands along with the camera body, lens caps, filters and so forth I invision something slipping out of my hands. Some day its bound to happen where I will be crushed when it does but hopefully I can just continue to be lucky.

An update---

As some of you recommended, I sent the lens back to Canon just to make sure it was ok. Well,Canon notified me that the bill would be $189.00 but it did not indicate what the damage was.Icalledthe Canon ServiceCenter and learned some very interesting stuff, according to this rep anyway---

1. The cost is a flate rate for each particular lens (in this case 24-105L), she said it didn't matter what was wrong with the lens, the repair would be $189.00

2.Even if the lens isn't damaged, they will still go through and clean, calibrate, adjust and install firmware if needed.

3. For no appearant reason, she took 20% off of the repair cost---Really, I had no complaints. I didn't even complain about the cost--so ultimately the inspection/repair only cost me $151.

4. I guess I could have just continued to use the lens until a problem presented itself, but having a professional repair tech look at it was well worth the $151.

Just thought I would pass this along,

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

An update---

As some of you recommended, I sent the lens back to Canon just to make sure it was ok. Well,Canon notified me that the bill would be $189.00 but it did not indicate what the damage was.Icalledthe Canon ServiceCenter and learned some very interesting stuff, according to this rep anyway---

1. The cost is a flate rate for each particular lens (in this case 24-105L), she said it didn't matter what was wrong with the lens, the repair would be $189.00

2.Even if the lens isn't damaged, they will still go through and clean, calibrate, adjust and install firmware if needed.

3. For no appearant reason, she took 20% off of the repair cost---Really, I had no complaints. I didn't even complain about the cost--so ultimately the inspection/repair only cost me $151.

4. I guess I could have just continued to use the lens until a problem presented itself, but having a professional repair tech look at it was well worth the $151.

Just thought I would pass this along,

Bob

I've sent 2 lenses in a on 2 different occasions and each time the lenses came back performing better than when they were new. Sharpness mostly.

I'm surprised they actually fixed it without charge...i once had my 70-200mm F4L IS attached to my rebel while in the rain and water got into the body and ruined my AF motor...i had to pay for the replacement motor. Strange.

But keeping in line with the topic, my 70-200 has dropped 3 times from a considerable height each time (onto either concrete or marble) and survives! Actually had the lens filter shatter once and that really did have me preparing for the worst. I dare say that thats not glass in there...its some special indestructible canon see-through material!

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    You got it, it rolled off of the bar, fell52 inches on to ceramic tile floor which was supported by a concrete foundation. At that moment, you could have seen a grown man weep like a baby. Well, I gathered my thoughts and prepared for the worst. Upon initial inspection, the only visble issue was that the lens hood popped off. On closer inspection---nonoticeable damage. I reattached the lens to the camera and went through every test I could think of---everything worked--No cracked glass-AF worked, diaphragm worked, all electronics seemed to work, all switches and rings seemed to work---the test shots I took afterword looked great. No noticable damage of any kind that I could find.

Based on some of your suggestions, I sent the lens to canon---and in fact there was some damage that i didn't intially detect. It seems the internal focus ring was damaged and Canon replaced it. A hearty thank you to those who encouraged me to send it in. I would hate to walk an hour into the woods only to discover the lens was damaged.

Bob

Bob