Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testament to Canon L Glass

Testament to Canon L Glass

After taking a few night shots of our Christmas tree, I decided to remove My 24-105 and replace it with the 10-22. During this process, I made the mistake of laying 24-105 on our bar. Just as I was attaching the other lens to the camera (both hands fully occupied), Iwatched the 24-105 slowly rolling to the edge of the bar---You got it, it rolled off of the bar, fell52 inches on to ceramic tile floor which was supported by a concrete foundation. At that moment, you could have seen a grown man weep like a baby. Well, I gathered my thoughts and prepared for the worst. Upon initial inspection, the only visble issue was that the lens hood popped off. On closer inspection---nonoticeable damage. I reattached the lens to the camera and went through every test I could think of---everything worked--No cracked glass-AF worked, diaphragm worked, all electronics seemed to work, all switches and rings seemed to work---the test shots I took afterword looked great. No noticable damage of any kind that I could find.

Beyond great image quality,this is another reason we pay so much for L glass.

If Ifind any problems I will followup to this post.

One more note---always sit your lenses on the end---not on the side.

Bob

Bob

Re: Testament to Canon L Glass

I've seen plenty of "L" lenses up for sale on ebay--broken by just such events. I think you're lucky. :-)

I'm going to guess the hood hit first and absorbed a lot of the the blow because that is amazing.

I dropped my 24 1.4 L mkI from about 30" onto carpet and it blew out the USM and mounting ring. Canon fixed for no charge though.

My shelf broke and dropped my 70-200 and cracked the uv filter and nothing else. Still shoots like a champ. I almost cried when it happened. Glad to hear it is still working.

Bob, I'm glad everything's ok with the lens. Even though things seem fine right now, If I were you'd send it to Canon for a thorough check up.

Bob, you've got yourself a 'guardian angel' looking out for you or dare I say the lens itself has one.

I would have curled into the fetal position calling out 'mommy, mommy'!

Good news indeed.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I wouldn't have gone straight to the fetal position...however, a very loud profanity would have commenced.

Second that! Glad to see nothing bad happend to you - The circumstances could have been much worse. I dropped my Tokina 12-24 f/4 two feet down onto the metal floor of a van over the summer - Luckily the lens sustained no damage.

Time to start taking care of the 24-70! []

Thanks to all for thier comments. I know that I really was very lucky, and even though thier doesn't seem to be any obvious damage, I think Nate is right and that I will send the lens to Canon just for a good inspection and adjustments if needed.

Happy Holidays to all,

Bob
    Bob

I think Canon L glass is the bomb (pardon the pun) .... but, I think testament toBob living right isin order here.