Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan
do a lot of macro work, and recommend the 100/2.8 non-IS

I want to add a thought here.

When I use the EF 100 f2.8 USM for macro work, 99% of the time I use flash. #1 because cool bugs come out at night and #2 because I shoot at f8-f16 to get as much depth of field as possible. My flash fires at somewhere around 1/10,000 of a second so hand holding is never an issue. If I shoot macro innormaldaylight I use a tripod but not 1:1. You can't shoot 1:1 from a tripod unless the tripod has some sort of dove-tail base and screw that can move the camera forward and backward. When I shoot for 1:1 mag. I manually focus and rock until I get the focus I want. I can shoot 25-40 shots of the same subject and get 2-5 great keepers. If money were no issue I would love to own the new IS version. I do not think at 1:1 it would result in any more keepers. I would take advantage of the IS in indoor/static portrait like shotsand use it for artistic motion blurr effects. For me, I can't say it would benefit the way I do Macro.

I agree with ShutterbugJohan's recommendation.

Here's a Macroexample:

Canon EOS 5D, <span class="nowrap"]f/11 @ <span class="nowrap"]100 mm, <span class="nowrap"]1/160, <span class="nowrap"]ISO 200 - Two Vivitar 285 in umbrellas triggered with Cactus V2s.

<span class="nowrap"]Notice that even at f11 on FF how quickly the slug gets out of focus. And this isn't even close to 1:1!

<span class="nowrap"]Here's a sorta portrait example @ f2.8 on APS-C:

<span class="nowrap"]

<span class="nowrap"]Canon EOS 40D, <span class="nowrap"]f/2.8 @ <span class="nowrap"]100 mm, <span class="nowrap"]1/200, <span class="nowrap"]ISO 320