Thread: Noise with Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 IS Lens

Noise with Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 IS Lens

I recently purchased a Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 IS Lens for my new Canon T1i (both from Best Buy), I am very happy aboutthe new lenses Imagequality but however I am little worried about the faint "whirring" noisewhen the Image Stabilizer is engaged.

I am not worried about the the "clunk" that it makes during autofocus, but the "whirring" is more prominent with IS On and wades off after a second from the picture has been taken. And the noise stays on when Live Mode is On - apparently while captuing HD video this noise is also captured

Is this a know issue with this lens or is this happening only to me?

> engaged when the shutter button is pressed, it will make a "clunk"
    > noise.

Re: Noise with Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 IS Lens

It's a known issue with all Canon IS lenses... it's the sound of the IS system. Wouldn't surprise me if the T1i picked up the noise. It picks up the noise of me manually focusing a lens. On-camera mics are useless except for family shots, where nobody minds the quality. If you want high quality sound, you'll have to have something else doing the recording, and try to sync up the two in editing.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I also recently purchased this lens and can also hear the IS operating when the shutter is half-pressed. It continues to hum for about a second after the shutter is pressed ending with a soft click. I don't find it to be very loud, but it is noticable. I have the XSi and don't shoot video so I wouldn't notice it while capturing video. I also notice that of the lenses I have with IS, this one is the loudest. I also have the 15-85 IS and the 18-55 IS. I would expect this one to be the loudest though since it is a longer focal length and I would assume that this would require more gyroscopic (is that a word?) action to achieve the required stability.

Another note is that inBryan's review of this lens he says that "Pressing the shutter release half way engages the image stabilizer - a click and quiet hum (low growl) are heard".

So I suspect that this is normal for this lens. If not, can someone please tell me as well, cause mine also makes this noise [:^)]

Stephen

Relax

It's completely normal, this is how this lens sounds.

I purchased my lens in May and almost had a heart attack when I realized it made that noise. I went to the store and tested 5 different lenses, all made the same noise. I am completely neurotic so I posted on this forum, Fred Miranda, I even e-maild Canon and they all confirmed that is how this lens works.

Enjoy the beautiful images it produces :-)

Relax you guys, and welcome to the world of Image Stabilizer? Are you IMAGE STABILIZED?[] The sound is a characteristic of the image stabilizer, not an issue. Of course your 70-200 f/4L IS produces a louder sound than your 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS because it is larger and therefore has a larger IS machanism.

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    almost had a heart attack when I realized it made that noise. I went to the store and tested 5 different lenses, all made the same noise.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

That was the same feeling I had when I heard the noise, and I was releaved off the chest pain just after seeing all these replies. After seeing all these threads, I too went to a photo studio store nearby and checked the same lens they had and it also made the same noise. Those guys did not even notice the sound until I told them []

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Relax you guys, and welcome to the world of Image Stabilizer? Are you IMAGE STABILIZED?[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] The sound is a characteristic of the image stabilizer, not an issue. Of course your 70-200 f/4L IS produces a louder sound than your 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS because it is larger and therefore has a larger IS machanism.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I totally agree with the picture quality and mymates are amazed at the shots that I take even at indoors. Today I took a shot at M at "3 sec hendheld and it was a perfect shot with smooth skin tones. I just love this lens. I have usually had good portraits for 1/5 of a sec but this the first time I had a it good for "3 and I am amazed so are my friends. But everyone whom I showed it to noticed the noise it made. Thats why I started this thread.

Thank you all once again for your replies and making me feel better. You all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!