Thanks for kind comments. I think you can improve white balance / colour / contrast, even in jpg. If you have PS CS3 or 4 or Lightroom 2, you can set the Raw Capture utility to open jpgs and then the eye dropper to decide on neutral grey. In Photoshop, add a levels adjustment with three eyedroppers (darkest point, lightest point and midpoint).

If you're a novice in post-processing you can't go far wrong with Kelby's "7-point system for PS", a fairly good how/why-to book which has the advantage of being relatively short (unlike the doorstop bibles people like to write about Photoshop).

More importantly, I envy that wonderful time where you are in your photography, when the 'creative' modes are daunting, full manual frightening and everything a discovery. The only really good advice I can offer is to keep shooting. It costs nothing and you learn.

Two years ago, I purchased my first dSLR, the 400D, thinking that this was a healthy, outdoor activity thanks to which I'd never have to look at a computer monitor again...