Thread: Jackson Hole upcoming trip

Jackson Hole upcoming trip

Hi, I will be going out to Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons in the middle of January. I have a canon 7d with the 18-135 IS ES lens. I also have the 100m 2.8 and the cheap 70-300mm non IS lens. I was thinking about renting some good L-lens to take pictures with (wild life, outdoors). I was looking at renting the 28-3003.5 -5.6 L lens or the 100-400 4.5-5.6L lens with either the 1.4 or 2.0 ext. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jason

Re: Jackson Hole upcoming trip

HMMM, Jackson Hole in January-----1st, make sure youhave good cold weather clothing, boots, gloves etc. As far as lenses go, get as much reach as you can afford. If long lenses and proper support are not in your budget, I would suggest renting the 400 5.6 L prime. Its easier to carry than the two you mentioned, is crystal sharp and most of the unfrozen wildlife will be fairly distant. Also, the push-pull zoom on the 100-400 takes some getting used to and offers lots of opportunity to miss your shot if you are not practiced with it. If you are going to use extenders, stick with the 1.4.---youll be happier with your image quality, but remember that you lose auto focus when using an extender on any lens with a max aperture at 5.6 or greater on non-1 series bodies. I think this is true even with the 7D. Perhaps you or someone else can confirm this.
    Bob