Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 4: Break a Rule! -- Congratulations Jorundr-Jorgensen!

Re: Assignment 4: Break a Rule!

5DmkII 24-70 2.8 @ 30mm f/4.5 ISO400 580EXII fired into 60" Eclipse Umbrella.

This shot has a busy background. I don't think the rule of thirds is in effect in any fashion. I went with Deutsch angle, not for any sense of uneasiness, just essentially to get everything in the shot. I've always like this shot and have gotten a some positive feedback so...

This picture was taking during my first day out using my new T1i. I went to Silver Lake Park in SE Wisconsin hoping to see wildlife, maybe a deer but I was the babe in the woods with this camera ...far cry from the point & shoot I'm used to. Of the many rules I broke, one of them I find funny now ...which shows I have learned something over the last month or so. I used the "Faithful" picture style effect which is for users who prefer to process their photos on their computer but I shot it as a jpeg! It would have been a no brainer to use the "Landscape" picture style forvivid fall colorsas the "Faithful" setting makes the image dull and subdued. Nate's advice from my other post about #1 advice to newbiescomes to mind ...know your camera!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1896.JPG[/img]

T1i + EF-S 55-250mm 4/4-5.6 IS @ f/6.3, 1/200, ISO 400, A-Dep

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    Rule broken: Cluttered background and flowers center of focus.

I remember this photo on the feedback thread. I remember the colored flowers getting alot of bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    She ordered a vertical 24x30 B&W with flowers color. The final print is impressive and will be on display at the Victoria, TX bridal show next Sunday.

This proves that you [sometimes] have to [as a business man] bury your photographic knowledge and edit to the customer's liking. I work at Target Portrait studios and countless people make decisions that make no sense photographically. But it keeps them happy and makes the customer reviews go up.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.

-Rodger

Haha here's one. How about that classic old rule, "don't cut 18 different images and paste them into one".

Is this valid? I'll submit a different one if not.

-Rodger

Here is my entry. In this one although the background is fairly diffuse it is also very busy with different colors and a fairly obvious movement from the waterfall.

Canon 10D EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM at 85mm f/5.6 1/90 ISO 100 (and if I am not mistaken) onboard flash.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.29/IMG_5F00_4747.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by musickna
    Oooh - we're getting some great photos here.[img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

I couldn't agree more!

I took this one on the fly while walking my dog. I believe it was one handed and I must have hit the exposure lock on the sun. This was taken in broad daylight at 3:43 PM. It almost looks like a bright moon but it's the sun. I thought it looked cool so I kept it.

By the way, this photo was barely touched. This is NOT a B&W conversion. I checked the RAW file and all I did was up the contrast to 2 in DPP.

Broken Rule: Don't shoot directly into the sun (at least while your camera is in one hand and your dog's leash is in the other)

50D,EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM@ 24mm, f/8, 1/8000, ISO 100

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.13/2009_2D00_03_2D00_21_2D00_15.43.14.jpg[/img]

Alright, interesting contest! great entries already

Here is my own entry; And the rule broken, obiously the focus.. Instead of getting a nice shot of the window the focus flew straight through it and crashed into the trees, and personally, I love it.

I know this entry is a bit more monochrome then the others but I was thinking that some varity would be good aswell.

Good luck everyone!

Canon 400D, 85mm f/ 1.8, 1/100 1.8

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.17/glasshouse_2D00_0692.jpg[/img]

Btw, I decided to include also the shot that I tried to archive, quite a diference!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.17/glasshouse_2D00_0691.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Jorundr-Jorgensen
    Here is my own entry; And the rule broken, obiously the focus.. Instead of getting a nice shot of the window the focus flew straight through it and crashed into the trees, and personally, I love it.
    Cool shot. I really like it.

Cheers Mark!