Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 4: Break a Rule! -- Congratulations Jorundr-Jorgensen!

Assignment 4: Break a Rule! -- Congratulations Jorundr-Jorgensen!

It is time for Assignment 4, courtesy of piiooo. We have the subject "Break a rule." Post a photo where you purposely broke any of the many composition rules to enhance the image. Please include in your post WHAT rule you broke and WHY you broke it. If possible EXIF data would be awesome, as usual.

I will leave this assignment open till Saturday January 9 because it took a while longer for me to get this up here. That gives 10 days to put in your pictures. Both old and new photos are welcome. I haven't decided on judges yet, if you would like to judge you can start a conversation with me.

Congratulations to Jorndr-Jorgensen for the winning photo!.

Jorundr-Jorgensen

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.17/glasshouse_2D00_0692.jpg[/img]

lynx0069

David Eccleston

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.63/horrible.JPG[/img]

mattsartin

Mark Elberson

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.13/2009_2D00_03_2D00_21_2D00_15.43.14.jpg[/img]

crosbyharbison

[Poll]

Assignment 4: Break a Rule! -- Congratulations Jorundr-Jorgensen!

It is time for Assignment 4, courtesy of piiooo. We have the subject "Break a rule." Post a photo where you purposely broke any of the many composition rules to enhance the image. Please include in your post WHAT rule you broke and WHY you broke it. If possible EXIF data would be awesome, as usual.

I will leave this assignment open till Saturday January 9 because it took a while longer for me to get this up here. That gives 10 days to put in your pictures. Both old and new photos are welcome. I haven't decided on judges yet, if you would like to judge you can start a conversation with me.

Congratulations to Jorndr-Jorgensen for the winning photo!.

Jorundr-Jorgensen

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.17/glasshouse_2D00_0692.jpg[/img]

lynx0069

David Eccleston

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.63/horrible.JPG[/img]

mattsartin

Mark Elberson

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.13/2009_2D00_03_2D00_21_2D00_15.43.14.jpg[/img]

crosbyharbison

[Poll]

Re: Assignment 4: Break a Rule!

HDR composite image !

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.06/_5F00_MG_5F00_9270_5F00_1_5F00_2_5F00_tonemapped_2 D00_Edit.jpg[/img]

I took the picture in Quebec city Canada last week.

I took 3 picture (for the HDR) but the sky was boring.....so ...I took a picture of aurora find on google [:O]!

I remove some big cement block and cone in photoshop !

So 4 image on this one !

ISO 100

F5.6

1/5 sec

Rebel T1i(500d) Tamron 17-50....on tripod !

Its not perfect but that kind of think make me learn more and more photoshop !

Sorry for my bad English bye the way !

Here the original !

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.06/_5F00_MG_5F00_9267.jpg[/img]

I've always loved this photograph even though it's all wrong. It's not level, the light through the windows is over-saturated and reduces the contrast, the edges are cut -off - it's a mess.

But I have never seen or taken a better shot that illustrates the ennui of waiting for a bus. I took it in 2004 in Guildford bus station on my old Canon Powershot G2, wobbling on a bench seat and as surreptitiously as I could manage. Today I would try to straighten everything out, clean up the edges, sharpen the focus and balance the light - and it would be a dead shot.

Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
    Aperture: f/2.2
    Focal Length: 8.3 mm
    ISO Speed: 50

Exposure bias +1

Hmm. Not too many replies yet. I hope we have not called it a day already saying that is is too hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming

Hmm. Not too many replies yet. I hope we have not called it a day already saying that is is too hard?

Me too! []Still, I expect lots of people have been busy with their holiday arrangements.

5d II, Canon 24-70, iso 1600, 68mm, f/3.2, 1/200 sec

Strobist: Nikon SB-600 bare flash @ 1/4, 50mm, behind subject (duh), triggered with Pocketwizard Plus II.

Rule: Never shoot into your lightsource, broke it on accident!

Maybe it would help if someone would post some examples of the rules of photography? As a beginner I am sure I often break these rules without even realizing it!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen
    Maybe it would help if someone would post some examples of the rules of photography? As a beginner I am sure I often break these rules without even realizing it!
    I took a shot tonight that must have broken every single rule there is, aside from rule #1 (Go out and take some pictures!) My wife just shut down the other computer with all the Canon software on it, so I can't even verify it's worth posting to this thread (though I'm sure it's more anembarrassmentthan anything)

We were driving downtown, past the Canadianparliamentbuildings. I was in the back seat of the van with our daughter, who had conveniently fallen asleep before we got downtown. We were just turning around, and heading home, when the camera was thrust into my hands with the nifty-fifty attached. Now, the 50mm wouldn't have been wide enough from our location on the road, even if I had ample opportunity to frame the shot, but ample opportunity wasn't available.

The back windows are tinted, so as we went past, I leaned forward to be somewhat between the front seats, and framed the shot out the corner of my eye as we drove past. The front passenger window I shot through was semi-ice, snow, salt, and slushed covered. Myimpeccabletiming managed to get a nice wide stone fence pillar covering one of the two parts of the building lit with coloured lights. A good 1/3 of the building is off the right hand side of the frame, omitting the two other colored parts. Atleast half, likely more, of the peace tower is off the top of the frame. The horizon isn't level. Because it was night, the shutter speed was low, the shot contains both motion blur due to the driving, and camera shake blur due to bouncing around in a moving van. There were obviously no composition rules applied, such as the rule of third.

If our goal is to break as many rules as possible, my shot may do it... however I think the point is to have an awesome shot despite breaking a rule... which is why I'm in no rush to upload it.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

It sounds fascinating, David - I'd love to see it!