Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod/Ballhead clamp choice

Re: Tripod/Ballhead clamp choice

I've used both and prefer the knob type simply because of the assurance that a tightened screw gives me. But apart from that, I see little to differentiate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsight

Just curious as to what most of y'alls choice is when it comes to clamps on your tripods.

Do y'all like the quick release "lever" type..... http://reallyrightstuff.com/mmRRS/Images/gallery/B2LRII.png

....or the knob type? .... http://reallyrightstuff.com/mmRRS/Images/gallery/B2PROII.png

Why would one choose one over the other??

I'm in the market for a new tripod head, clamp and most of whatis included in panorama photography ... so thanks for any input.

Mark

They're both very nice. If you are doing landscape and panoramic shots, are you in a hurry? If so, the quick release might be helpful, but if not, the knob style is my preference. I like the infinitely adjustable tightness available. The QR version is either locked down or open essentially. All the RRS stuff is nice. Really, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

I went with the lever-style ballhead (a RRS BH-55 LR, to be precise). Part of my decision was motivated by the type of plate I wanted to attach to the camera and the type of shooting I tend to prefer. I went with the RRS L-plates, and those combined with the lever-style ballhead makes for quick & easy attachment to the ballhead and orientation changes when shooting (I tend towards landscape work, for whatever that's worth). I've been completely satisfied with the system and haven't regretted the purchase at all.

As an aside, that head & L-plate combo is pretty expensive, but I figured I'd drop my money there and get a relatively inexpensive tripod (Manfrotto 055XPROB). I'd rather upgrade my tripod than my ballhead system. The bulk was a consideration, but I've not found it to be much of an issue (then again, I haven't tried taking a long hike with that setup, either!).

Thanks everyone .... much appreciated info!