Thread: Advice please! Re 2nd hand Canon EF 100 - 400mm L IS USM zoom lens

Advice please! Re 2nd hand Canon EF 100 - 400mm L IS USM zoom lens

Hi All,

I'm considering buying the above lens and have found a good one 2nd hand. I'm using the article on this site to guide me re the age of the lenses which has been very useful.

The one I'm after has a date code of Oct 2003 which has got me wondering...

Is a 2003 lens exactly the same spec etc as one that would be bought brand new today? Is it the same colour or are the new ones whiter? (I have the 70 - 200L so I know that L's are not actually white!)

Here is a link to Canon's page for the lens - if you have one and can compare it to the photo I'd be very grateful!

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Zoom_Lenses/EF100_400mm_f4.5-5.6L_IS_USM/index.asp

Many thanks for yourhelp.

Re: Advice please! Re 2nd hand Canon EF 100 - 400mm L IS USM zoom lens

Quote Originally Posted by Ollievision
    Is a 2003 lens exactly the same spec etc as one that would be bought brand new today?

Older 100-400 units (before 2006 or so) had a reputation for a high percentage of "lemons" (some were soft at 400mm). If you get a normal unit, it will be just as sharp as one bought brand new today. Others have noticed improved bokeh in the newer units.

I have thought the same way and am glad that I just order a spanking new one for $1600

Thanks for your help!

I also found an article saying that as the lenses age the zoom bearings can seize up, requiring costly repairs. The seller of the 2003 lens had noted the zoom was stiff so I didn't buy it.

I'm looking for newer ones but want to avoid brand new as I won't be using it much.