Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 35mm 1.4 L or the 24-70 2.8 L for portraits and weddings?

Re: 35mm 1.4 L or the 24-70 2.8 L for portraits and weddings?

Fist off Mike, let me say I love your site! Nice style on your photos too... I love them!

I really agree with many points on here. I have rented the EF 24mm f/1.4 II several times and am absolutely IN LOVE with that lens, though it's a bit pricy. I would, though, recommend that over the 35 f/1.4 because it's newer and better quality, wider (which is good I think for your needs) and just a sweet lens all around.

The 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM is a nice lens but I just wish it didn't reverse-extend and also wish it had IS. There is much talk of a new version coming out soon... maybe wait for the new one? I agree that primes are the way to go, especially in weddings. You do have three camera bodies, so why not? The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 was mentioned, and I was considering purchasing that lens, but didn't just as I was scared to give a new Sigma a try when it's quality-control sucks so much. I used to own a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 and it worked great... but still hesitant. I went with the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM but that isn't wide enough for you. You said you have it anyhow.

Alternative to the 24-70 L: much cheaper and almost as good quality, very versatile, would be the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. I hear the quality is L-like (uses some same parts of L-series lenses) and takes amazing photos. You wouldn't be saving a ton of money as it's still near a grand, but it is an alternative.

Personally, I'd go with the EF 24 f/1.4 II or the 30mm f/1.4 from Sigma and just wait on a 2.8 zoom until a new one comes out.

- Jordan Murphy

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Equipment: Canon 7D, 50D, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 100-400, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Kenko extension tube 3pc set, 2 430EXII Speedlites, Manfrotto monopod and tripod with video pan head.

Re: 35mm 1.4 L or the 24-70 2.8 L for portraits and weddings?

I've had 5 different 24-70 lenses, none of them really worked well on my crop cameras. For a crop camera, why not get a 17-55mm IS. You'll love it, and if you ever go to FF, they are easy to resell.