Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 35mm 1.4 L or the 24-70 2.8 L for portraits and weddings?

35mm 1.4 L or the 24-70 2.8 L for portraits and weddings?

I'm really trying hard to figure out which way to go on this one. I use only 1.6 crop bodies (t1i, 7D, and 20D) and I mainly shoot portrait and wedding work with natural lighting. I love the bokeh that my 50mm 1.4 lens gives me but I sometimes wish I was shooting just a tad bit wider that way I wouldn't have to step that extra step back, but at the same time I try to keep most of my portraits within that 1.4 to 2.8 range unless I have more than two people in the frame. I know the 35 L is an awesome lens and honestly that's what I'm leaning more towards but I'm second guessing my decision because I feel like the 24-70mm L maybe a better decision for the wedding aspect because it's more of a broad range and would require me to change lenses less... All in all I'm looking for any thoughts or picture examples to help me narrow my decision down... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Here's also a link to my blog so you can get an idea of what I shoot usually...

http://mikeandlora.squarespace.com/

Mike

Re: 35mm 1.4 L or the 24-70 2.8 L for portraits and weddings?

My suggestion--Go with the 24-70mm f/2.8 L. I realize it doesn't have as wide of an aperture, but with the T1i and 7D, you can push ISOs a bit and still get good results. When it comes to weddings, you want to be able to get the shot when it happens--and many times having a zoom (enabling optimal framing) can mean a world of difference.

If you buy the 24-70 and still long for the 35L, try buying the 35mm f/2. The build quality and image quality isn't quite as good as the "L," of course, but it's much cheaper and will get you in the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylivingston
    I know the 35 L is an awesome lens and honestly that's what I'm leaning more towards but I'm second guessing my decision because I feel like the 24-70mm L maybe a better decision for the wedding aspect because it's more of a broad range and would require me to change lenses less

I started out shooting weddings with the 24-70, but after I got some experience I switched to primes. Now I shoot weddings with one other photographer and a huge sack full of primes between us (and one zoom, the 70-200 f/2.8 IS). Wedding shooters need at least two bodies anyway (you have three), so just get used to shooting two at once (if you aren't already). That gives you two primes, which will cover a lot of situations.

So I suggest the 35mm f/1.4 L over the 24-70.

However, have you considered the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? You can buy three of them for the price of a single 35mm f/1.4, and the image quality is very good for the price. The main problem is reliable autofocus, but with microadjustment on your 7D, I think you could make it work.

Yea all good points I honestly prefer shooting with primes anyway so I think I will go for the 35mm I highly considered the sigma 30mm but I kind of wrote that out because within the year I would like to switch over to all full frame gear and so honestly I would like to take my investment now and still be able to use it when I transition. I saw on your page that you have the 24mm 1.4 L would you recommend that over the 35mm cause that is a tad bit wider and I've heard great things about that as well..

I use to own the 24 1.4 L mkI and I loved it on a 1.6 (38.4 mm). When I upgrade to 5DmkII I found it too wide for personal liking. Now I crave the 35 1.4 in a very bad way.

I also own the 24-70 and I love this lens but if you don't need the versatility, I'd recommend the 35 1.4.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylivingston
    I saw on your page that you have the 24mm 1.4 L would you recommend that over the 35mm cause that is a tad bit wider and I've heard great things about that as well..

Yes, I do recommend it over the 35. I like to shoot lots of ultra wide at weddings, so I would want a 15mm on crop.

Reading the thread. Good comments. I think it depends a lot on you. I have always said the best zoom is a prime and a great pair of legs. I agree you should go with the 24mm 1.4 L. It is slightly wider than normal for your cameras. If you have older legs like me go with the zoom.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Reading the thread. Good comments. I think it depends a lot on you. I have always said the best zoom is a prime and a great pair of legs. I agree you should go with the 24mm 1.4 L. It is slightly wider than normal for your cameras. If you have older legs like me go with the zoom.

Mark

Funny. I often find myself zooming in on a great set of legs.[]

I finally took the plunge and ordered the 35 1.4 L. I was looking through some older shots of mine and the ones I truly love were shots I took with my 24 1.4 L on my 40D. I painfully wanted to get back a similar perspective with the fast aperture on my 5D2. 2.8 just doesn't get shallow enough.

I'm sure they will announce the Mark II any day now.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful advice all though after actually going down the local camera store and messing with both lenses I decided to go with the 24-70mm because I could get a lot more general purpose use out of it and it's friggin tack sharp. I loved the bokeh on the 35mm but I think I'll wait to another time and instead get the 85mm 1.2 so all in all thank you guys for your help I really appreciate all the advice.