Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens rental, good or bad idea?

Lens rental, good or bad idea?

I am about to embark on a trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and am considering renting a lens or two to use.

I have the Canon 7d with the 18-135mm IS EF-S lens.

I also have the cheap 70-300mm Canon Lens.

I have never rented any equipment before and was looking for any suggestions on possible places or things to look for.

Thanks

Jason

Re: Lens rental, good or bad idea?

First, what are you interested in shooting?

Second, do you have a tripod?

If you do want to rent a lens, do it from lensrentals.com (that goes without saying)

brendan

I will be going out with a guide to shoot wild life and some basic landscape photography. I do have a tripod, although not a very expensive one.

Thank you for your reply

no problem. The wildlife that one looks for in Wyoming is primarily very large, i.e Moose, Bear, Pronghorn, Mountain Goat, etc.

I would give you several suggestions:

EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM - Renting it for 10 days will cost about $70. This will cover landscape, wildlife, AND macro. It is a great do-it-all lens, and as long as you aren't shooting in very low light it would work fine. Weighs about 3 pounds, so you can handhold it. If you only want 1 lens, this is the one.

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM - This is one of the best affordable wildlife lenses. It won't cover landscape too well, but for wildlife it is undoubtedly better than the 28-300. Again, not a very low light lens. This will cover all the large mammals and even birds you will see. You will want another lens if you want to shoot landscapes constantly. Again, weighs about 3lbs and costs about $70 for a 10-day rental.

EF 300mm f/4L IS USM - Not a zoom, so not very versatile, but will offer far superior quality to the lenses above at its fixed focal length. For Wyoming, however, I personally would prefer the versatility of the 100-400. The 300 weighs about 2.5lbs and costs about $80 for a ten-day rental. Because of its aperture of f/4 it is more of a low-light lens than the two above.

EF 17-55mm F/2.8L IS USM - Great Landscape and general-purpose lens. You will love this lens. It is good in all respects and is cheap to rent. Very small and light. Great low-light lens that will cover all landscape and portrait photography you will run into.

EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM - Great general-purpose, slightly better built than the 17-55 and is more expensive. Again, a lens that everyone loves.

Well, those are some of my recommendations[H]

hope that helps

and enjoy wyoming!

brendan[]

Quote Originally Posted by jjknights
    I will be going out with a guide to shoot wild life and some basic landscape photography.

I suggest renting the 100-400. It's excellent for wildlife.

If you do not have one you may also want to rent a tripod for that 100-400. Some rental places also have camera backpacks.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jjknights

I am about to embark on a trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and am considering renting a lens or two to use.

I have the Canon 7d with the 18-135mm IS EF-S lens.

I also have the cheap 70-300mm Canon Lens.

I have never rented any equipment before and was looking for any suggestions on possible places or things to look for.

Thanks

Jason

Barry at cameralensrental.com will take care of you, I have had great experiences with them in the past.

Others here have the lens suggestions covered pretty well. How about a flash? I would never travel without at least one flash and a diffuser or another light modifier.

I think the 100-400 will fit the wild life pictures. As I mentioned I have the 18-135 EF-S 3.5-5.6IS lens already. I was thinking of renting the 10-22 3.5-4.5 lens.

I do have a flash, the 580 EX.

I have a monopod as well as a decent tripod (not carbon fiber).

Thank you for all of your input. I am leaving out on the 17th and staying till the 22nd.

I will post some pictures when I get back.

Jason

Two good choices, I love both the 100-400 and the 10-22, and they should cover both ends of what you're missing.

Rich

I second the 100-400 + 10-22 recommendations. I've rented a 100-400, myself, locally, and it was fantastic (on the wish list...). The push/pull design took a bit of getting used to, and it was weeeeeird/hilarious mounted on my Rebel XT, but it produced great photos. A close friend has the 10-22 and loves it on his 1.6x bodies.