Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Interesting. Nice incremental changes, but nothing significant enough to make me want to give up my existing 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. I'll be following the reviews when it hits the streets though. So many lenses, so little time & cash.

I'm not really excited about spending another grand to get a marginal improvement. I'd rather have another lens, or a portion of a new body.

Seriously I have no reason to upgrade my 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS USM, now if they came up with 24-105 f/2.8L IS USM i'll be jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by dj 7th

Seriously I have no reason to upgrade my 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS USM, now if they came up with 24-105 f/2.8L IS USM i'll be jumping.

Yeah I think I'm going to be fine with mine too. I still get blown away with everyday.

I'm sure they are going to update the 35 1.4 any day now that I've finally bought the existing version. I'll be fine with that too if it is $1700 for the mkII.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I'm sure they are going to update the 35 1.4 any day now that I've finally bought the existing version.

Then would you mind buying the existing version of the 400mm f/5.6 so they come out with an update (read: IS version) of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

I'm sure they are going to update the 35 1.4 any day now that I've finally bought the existing version.

Then would you mind buying the existing version of the 400mm f/5.6 so they come out with an update (read: IS version) of that?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    Providing that it was as sharp as the non-IS version this would seriously make people think twice when making the decision to purchase eitherthe 300 f/4 or the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

I probably would be upset, just because I would really want IS in a 400mm lens.

The 35 1.4 is already near perfect for my needs. I know they will update it but for my needs it doesn't justify an extra $400. If it was updated and it was the same price, I'd go nuts!

I might upgrade for the new lens hood design alone :P I really hate canon's current design, they always fall off!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

I'm not really excited about spending another grand to get a marginal improvement. I'd rather have another lens, or a portion of a new body.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Agreed.

For someone who doesn't already own a version 1, it might be time to get version 2. But, everyone knows that version 1 is an outstanding lens, and the marginal improvement at such a significant increase in cost? Not for me. Like you, I'd be considering another piece of glass or an additional camera body.

Edit: I should have also said this: it's going to be more than a grand for the new one, since we won't get the full price for selling the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

For someone who doesn't already own a version 1, it might be time to get version 2. But, everyone knows that version 1 is an outstanding lens, and the marginal improvement at such a significant increase in cost?

Outstanding, yes. Without room for improvement, wrong. If you ever try the 200/2, you will understand how much better life can get. I have a 'favorite shot' of the Seattle Space Needle, taken from perhaps 1.25 miles away, handheld at night, ISO 1600; it's so incredibly crisp and detailed that you can tell which TVs are on, and where people are standing. The 70-200/2.8IS can definitely be improved a lot.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.