Thread: Setting my camera up to use a sync chord

Setting my camera up to use a sync chord

I just got my beginners strobist kit. Not one piece of equipment came with instructions but I was wondering if I have to do anything in my settings to set up my camera with the sync chord. I just messed around taking a few picks but I couldn't figure out why everything was way overexposed. Thoughts?

thanks

Re: Setting my camera up to use a sync chord

Not sure which kit you are using, but usually, when using triggers you have to set up the flash out put manually.

Cheers!

Dev

If the shot is illuminated "evenly" from top to bottom, your sync cord is functioning correctly and you don't have your shutter set too fast. If your shutter was set too fast, you'd probably end up with a dark top or bottom (I never know which).

Remember that only aperture and ISO matter when it comes to flash. If you have any/sufficient/too-much ambient light, shutter matters only for the ambient (aside from the shutter sync speed issue).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    If your shutter was set too fast, you'd probably end up with a dark top or bottom (I never know which).

Dark bottom, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    Remember that only aperture and ISO matter when it comes to flash. If you have any/sufficient/too-much ambient light, shutter matters only for the ambient (aside from the shutter sync speed issue).

Actually, that's not 100% accurate. Shutter speed does matter, but it's negligible most of the time when it comes to flash exposure. As peety pointed out, you need to shoot at or below your max flash sync speed (typically 1/250 sec or 1/200 sec). When doing high speed sync with a camera mounted (or TTL wired) cable, you can push the shutter speed substantially faster; however, you'll lose several stops of light from your flash output the higher you go.

A flash meter can help in setting your exposure. On a budget I started with a Wein WP-500B for $90 from B&H. An Interfit Flash Meter is even less at $57.

Later when I could afford a better meter I purchased a Sekonic L-358

Mark
    Mark

I wouldn't waste your money on a flash meter, I use the histogram primarily on the camera. If you want I will sell you my Sekonic for half off if you want it.... that is if I can find it.

stephen