Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery grips

Battery grips

Is the extra money worth the canon 5d mark 2 battery grip or should i just go with the vivtar or other ganeric version for less than half the price?

Re: Battery grips

I have a battery grip from Linkdelight for my 40D that looks almost identical to the Canon grip and works perfectly withdecent batteries.

There were 2 (non-genuine) batteries sent with the grip and the first time I used them the camera shut down and turned itself off after about 3 shots. Scared the hell out of me!!! I feared the worst but I removed the battery grip and put a genuine canon battery in the camera itself and it was fine.

Tried the same thing (grip on) again with the non-genuine batteries and the same happened. They took a swift trip to the rubbish bin after that and I only use either genuine or flashpoint batteries (from Adorama) now and all's good. I still use the grip 100% of the time now.

I guess it's abig positive that the griptripped out before any damage was done to the body but it's still in the back of my mind.

I know they're well and truly overpriced but next time I think I'll fork out for the genuine Canon grip. If something does happen to the camera then at least it will be covered under canon warrantly.

Hope this helps, Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

For my XTi, I bought a 3rd party grip. For my 50D, I bought the Canon version (simply because a 3rd party one wasn't available). They've both worked very well for me. Personally, if I can buy a 3rd party grip for less money (that's decently reviewed), I will.

As btaylor noted, using a genuine Canon grip will help you in a warranty situation; however, I'm not sure how much it'll help if you're using 3rd party batteries with it. :-)

It's worth it. You spent how much money on a camera, and now you want to jeopardize it with a knockoff grip? It's managing two Li-Ion batteries, something that I wouldn't trust to an off-brand device ever.

My fiance's 40D grip acted up, progressively to a point where the shutter button never worked. With the grip off, the camera still had some random issues. We put the combo in a box with a description of the problems, sent it to Canon, and got it fixed for ~$200. What will you do if your grip acts up? Buy another to troubleshoot with? Send the grip to the vendor, only to have them say it's fine? Send your camera into Canon grip-less and have them say it's fine?

Just like you should always budget 10-20% additional for a proper case for new goodies, you should plan to spend the right amount of money on a Canon grip. But that's just my opinion.

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I'm not a fan of the battery grips (I like keeping the camera small) but if I got one I'd definitely get the Canon pretty much for the reasons peety3 mentioned.

Every once in a while I find myself shooting portrait a bit and think it be nice to have the grip but not enough to drop $250 on though.

I love grips. They are definitely worth paying extra for.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

It's worth it. You spent how much money on a camera, and now you want to jeopardize it with a knockoff grip? It's managing two Li-Ion batteries, something that I wouldn't trust to an off-brand device ever.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I love battery grips, not only for the added power, but they feel better. I have grips on both my 350 and 50D. I would always go for Canon brand as well, the quote above explains exactly why. If you have the money to buy a decent camera, then have the money to get the proper accessories, my opinion anyways!

I cannot comment on 3rd party grips. I used a total of 3 canon grips and all of them worked flawlessly.

I can't bring myself to spend the kind of money on photography equipment that the rest of you do, so when I decided to get a grip for my Rebel XS, I got one from Photodiox off Ebay. I love it! I got it for portrait orientation not battery power, so I still just use the one Canon battery I have. The larger size of the grip fits my hand so much better than the landscape Canon side, that I find I automatically grab the camera that way, and take way more photosvertically too. The shutter release and main dial have a very different feel than the Canon, but to me, the cheap grip was definately worth it. If I was going to be spending $2600 on a 5DII though, I would get the Canon.

Lewis

In a world of compromise, some men dont.