Thread: Image Critique: from a new lens

Image Critique: from a new lens

I got the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 for Christmas and played with it outside. These were taken on Christmas afternoon (no snow []). This is part critique/part me showing off my lens lol. I love the color and detail of this lens.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.66/IMG_5F00_3003.jpg[/img]

Canon 50D w/ EF 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 200mm f/4 1/1600 sec ISO 200

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.66/IMG_5F00_2997.jpg[/img]

Canon 50D w/ EF 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 200mm f/4 1/1600 sec ISO 200

And yes I know I could have dropped the ISO to 100 and (slightly) improved the image, but I was doing actions shots right before that and was on manual mode and too lazy to change it

Comments/criticism welcome.

Re: Image Critique: from a new lens

Congratulations on your new lens

I got myself a 300 f/4L prime for xmas.

Both of your photos are nice, great detail/color/contrast.

For #1 you might want to refer to the rule of thirds. Don't frame a dog smack dab in the middle of the frame.

Also, if you remember to do so you could reduce the shutter speed or widen the aperture as both are just a tad dark. I don't think 1/1600 is necessary for shooting pets.

When I shoot pets, I try to get them staring into the camera or running at the camera. Maybe you might want to try that.

hope this helps

brendan[]

congrats on the new glass, you'll like it!

The colors and details of these images are very good, however sharpness is not up to par. Looking at these images, I know your lens is sharp, but due to the small web size and no sharpening, the images here are quite soft. When you resize an image, you must sharpnen it.

Read this image and it will make your images a world difference in the future.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/photoshop/sharpening.htm

Nate,

Very nice photographs. I might suggest trying to get more of the dog's body into the frame - I feel the second picture in particular would have benefited from getting the whole dog into the shot.

Color and contrast are lovely. I also think the sharpness is spot on, thankfully free of that artificial over-sharpened look. Very nicely done.

I realize it's more difficult with a long telephoto lens, but try getting as low to the ground as possible. When we look at pets, we're always looking down on them. By changing the angle you get an additional layer of interest for the viewer to soak in.

I like the first shot. Good example of what the 70-200 an do.

I treated myself to a late Christmas present, 35 1.4 L. I have wanted this lens for so long. It just arrived today. I think I might go shoot some night stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Read this image and it will make your images a world difference in the future.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/photoshop/sharpening.htm

Thanks for posting that link, Nate. I found it helpful.

Your pictures always look very sharp to me, and I know it isn't just the lens. (After all, almost any lens is capable of producing a sharp enough picture at the sizes we post to this forum.)