Thread: Ranch roping

Ranch roping

Both photos with 20D and 70-200mm f/4 non-IS, captured in RAW, editted with CS3

I don't do this very often, but felt this horse had more of an antique look to it, so I softened the image a bit and applied a filter in CS3 to allow only a hint of color. Again, not really my "style" but wanted to try somethingdifferent. Aperture priority,f/5.0 1/1000 ISO 100 131mmfocal length

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/antique.jpg[/img]

I think I'd like the background a bit more blurred on this one, but it is what it is. Does it look overly-sharpened to you? Aperture priority, f/7.1 1/800 ISO 200 81mm focal length

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/roping.jpg[/img]

Thanks for comments and suggestions!

Re: Ranch roping

I like the tonality of the first shot and I think you handled the "hint of color" very nicely. I think it fits with the tones very well.

Personally I wouldlike to see both ears on the horse (I suspect they may be camera cropped) and find the hint of a sleeve or somethingin the upper left a little distracting, but all-in-all I like the shot.

I like both - nice shots over there []

I like the tonality of the first shot, the second one I would personally like it better if you what shot horizontally instead of vertically, or a vertical crop of just the rider, his horse and lasso in the air. But overall nice job of stopping the action!

The second shot is a great action shot which leaves you wondering... did he lasso the calf or not??

nice shots. especially the first one.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Great photos! My jaw dropped when I saw the first pic. Indeed you captured the color and brought out the texture of the horse. Just wonderful!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com