Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re-thinking Lens Choices... or, If I knew then...

Re: Re-thinking Lens Choices... or, If I knew then...

Hey Bryan and Jnort002,

nice quote Bryan, that's how misunderstandings get there [:P]

No I shot a lot of sports last year, but my goal was not to have a normal picture from every person in the contest, but only my "best" pictures. I did it purely for myself. That's really another standard. That is what I was talking about.

To be very honest, I shot some cycling, and yes it is a really hard sport to shoot and no I wasn't content with my pictures. But the pictures I liked from others are mostly OR emotional pictures, like tremendous dedication to get to the finish, getting really tires but still going on etc, OR nicely panned pictures. It shows speed a lot and you still get to see their faces if you do it correctly. Yes it is hard and I haven't had the opportunity to use image stabilizer on my kit.

It's also very hard to make "more special" photo's if the cyclists only pass by one time, so in that case I totally understand you.

So no I don't call any of you lousy. You've got totally different things on your mind than I did. I couldn't care less if I missed a person or two. That's how I could experiment. Plus I chose tyo not make money with it, just to get more out of my shots. If I wasn't satisfied, I just didn't post any photo's at all. But your case is something totally different.

About the f2.8 focusspeed going faster...I never had any trouble with my 70-200 f4. My tamron 17-50 2.8 was twice as slow so....But maybe in lesser lightcondition it does make more of a deal, I don't know.

There are always going to be compromises when buying lenses. There is not 1 lens that fits all photographers needs...I think they call it marketing []

@jnort002,

I do see the large group in the back, but I wasn't there so I don't know what happened...so I don't get that emotion with that picture that you've probably got. That's probably why I think it is boring and you think it's one of your best shots.

I do understand your problem. When it is that busy you can't get a nice space where you got the room to turn around, there is little other option then to stop action.

So I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings...both of you, that was totally not my intention.

I did really like the second picture you took jnort, it shows a battle, thats what I can see even if I only take a quick peek. That's a strong picture.

Same counts for all the perspective Bryan uses on his site. I like how you shoot in the corners, so cyclists look very dynamic. I like things like that that makes pictures look special.

Hope this helps a bit. I really don't think you're lousy photographers, I'm an amateur as well. My cyclists photo's are lousy as well, but I do know what I'd like to make next time, that is what I was trying to explain to you. I learn everytime again. I'm never satisfied with my pictures...maybe I'm just to picky I don't know.

First off, Jan - I'm not offended at all, no apology was necessary. Like you, I am not satisfied with my cycling photos, and only strive to do better, which is why I am inquiring in the first place if I have the wrong lens selection for what I'm doing. I shot several thousand cycling photos in 2009, and there may only be a couple that I really like at all.

Back to initial question though, it seems like nobody feels strongly that I should change lenses for my shooting style or subjects. I'm somewhat relieved. I still have a few primes on my wish list, but at least I don't feel compelled to sell my current lenses and replace them.

Thanks everyone who commented so far! Additional opinions are appreciated, as well as positive or negative criticisim, etc. (I'm pretty thick-skinned)

Quote Originally Posted by BryanKing

Additional opinions are appreciated, as well as positive or negative criticisim, etc. (I'm pretty thick-skinned)

Thank god [] I was thinking it was my european hardness [:P]

One last thing, try to enjoy your photo's. Try to do a trainingsession or something that is not important at all and try to shoot pictures for You in stead of for Them.

I really like the 10mm from the ground perspective. The bike wants to get out of those pictures...really nice. I'm looking forward to see your newer photo's

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I really like the 10mm from the ground perspective.

Those are some of my favorites too, but it is a little nerve rattling to sit on the curb on an inside corner with a 10mm in a criterium race. They're going fast, and really, really close!

True that!, but it's worth it!

I cut myself open for this photo, but I really think it's worth it. And believe me, nobody else had such a shot []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.48/27_2D00_Triathlon-Rijssen-140.jpg[/img]

great picture sheiky.

Thank you Colin