Thread: Bubble in 24-105mm L-series Lens

Bubble in 24-105mm L-series Lens

I recently purchased a 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon lens and to my surprise when it arrived there was a small bubble in the glass of the front element of the lens. At first it looked like a small spec of dust but upon closer inspection it was a tiny bubble in the glass. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this common in the L-series lenses?

Re: Bubble in 24-105mm L-series Lens

Bubble in the glass of the front element? That's odd.

If you're still in the return/refund/exchange period. I think you should exchange for another one, or you can send it to Canon, explaint to them and ask them to replace the front element.

No it's not common, L series is considered a LUXURY or PREMIUM Canon lens, and thus should be perfect in every way. You should definitely exchange it, even though the small bubble in the front element really won't affect your pictures, but you may see an occasional flare or two stemming from it when the light hits it just right.

This bubble is from the lens bonding process. Itsa doublet lens (two lenses) bonded together with optical adhesive. Sometimes all of the air does not come out in the bonding assembly process. It must have been over looked, just send it back and get a new one.

Kyle

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for input. I will be exchanging the lens for another one (the vendor has agreed to do so). I am super happy with the lens otherwise on my 40D and I am enjoying the ability to shoot pictures without a flash in so many situations that I used to think otherwise about doing a handheld, no flash exposure. The pictures come out amazingly sharp. Very nice lens.

Mark

I own the same lens and it does not have any bubble. BTW, it is a great lens, so exchange it and enjoy the new one.