Thread: Canon 1D MK 4 resolution and color block noise comparisons

Canon 1D MK 4 resolution and color block noise comparisons

<span style="color: #800080;"]Hello All, just checked new review update for 1D MK 4 color block noise comparisions with 1D MK 3, 5D MK 2 and 7D, I found ISO performance between 1D MK4, 1D MK3 and 5D MK2 not much different (between ISO 100~6400)...... Or maybe just my eye?

<span style="color: #800080;"]I thought 1D MK4 ISO performance should be lots better.....?

Re: Canon 1D MK 4 resolution and color block noise comparisons

I was thinking the same in terms of the comparison, looks very similar. That's a bit a contradiction compared to what was said by guys like Vincent Laforet.

Should it be better? Well it's all about competition, isn't it? If the competition is doing better then yes, it should be. But of course a camera is not just about level of noise at high ISO. Let's wait for the full review.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince
    I found ISO performance between 1D MK4, 1D MK3 and 5D MK2 not much different (between ISO 100~6400)

Yes, and since the 1DIV is a 100% crop at a higher resolution than the 1D3, that means it was a significant improvement in noise. In other words, if you downsize the 1DIV to the same level of detail as the 1D3, you'll see it has less noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    if you downsize the 1DIV to the same level of detail as the 1D3, you'll see it has less noise.

I have done that and it's quite a bit better too. I just saved Bryan's crops and reduced it. I did that with the 7D and the 5D II and the 7D was the worst of the lot while the 5D II was actually better than the 1D IV. Can't wait for the 1Ds IV to be released!

John.