Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best lens under $700 + poll

Re: Best lens under $700 + poll

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    For under $700 I would recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II.

I don't own that lens, but from what I've read, it's comparable to the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, just without image stabilization. I've found that on a crop body, the Canon 17-55 isthe perfect general purpose lens. I, too, suggest givingthe Tamrona look before you make your final decision...

I own the Tamron17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di IIand its a really really good lens -it's the way to go in your price range. You can pick one up used (i paid $308 for mine used on ebay almost in new condition) for under $400 (or new for $450), constant f/2.8, an its just as sharp as the $1000 canon 17-55. Its really the way to go and a great general purpose lens on a 1.6 chop camera. For the money you just cannot go wrong.

The things i dont like about it is its a bit loud (noisy) focusing, and its not as fast focusing as some of the nicer USM Canon lenses but it does ok. Also it doesn't have IS but its such a fast lens you don't really need it IMO.

They do have a VC (Image Stabilization) version for around $650 but i don't think its worth the money and i haven't read enough reviews to know if its any good or not.

Tamron 17-50 @ f/2.8 ISO800 on a Canon xti

http://liam821.com/pix/other/IMG_8511.jpg <-- high quality version

First you say that the 70-200F4 is too slow, but then you list two lenses that are slower. Rather than the two you mentioned, if you are going for wildlife, get the 70-200F4L (Non IS).

with a 7D, the F4 is plenty fast, just like your 300mm.

If you want to buy more than one lens, buy a oder used 70-210mm F4. They can be had in the $100 range, and are a great lens at that price. They have the push pull zoom which is great for sports action. Then get the 35mm F2 and the 50mm F1.8 to go with it.

<div>

Here are my two cents,

If I were to drop a fair bit of money on a lens right how (as a fast lens snob also) I would go for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. The reason being that it is fast and it is very solid as far as IQ as well as covering a very nice walk around range. If you don't care for that though my next option would be the 50mm 1.4. I really have had a blast the time that I have had with relatively wide primes and they make for a really good challenge. Also that lens demonstrates some very good IQ.

Thats all,

Samuel
    </div>

I Have nothing, just wanted to see the &ldquo;100&rdquo; mark reached.

Scott

Just because I'm bored, I figured I'd mention another lens... it's probably not a replacement for the ones in your poll, but is quite nice all-around too! The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro. It is fast-focusing, takes beautiful landscapes, pretty sharp images and VERY nice bokeh on headshots... plus has the added bonus of being super-close-focusing. But.. I'd probably take most of the ones on your list over that... just wanted to bring it up. I hear they might be coming out with an IS version soon... sucks because I just bought mine a couple months ago.

The EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is VERY nice all-around!

The answer will be different for different photographers depending on their camera and style of photography. I would be reluctant to vote the 28-135 best of anything though. All the others are excellent in the hands of someone who uses them properly.