Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How large can I go? First time making big prints...

How large can I go? First time making big prints...

Friends,

First: I've been reading the community forums for months now and want to say thanks to all of you for so much help and good advice. I've learned a lot from you.

I've been invited to exhibit some of my photos at a small artisans' gallery, and I'm excited to do it, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the newness of preparing images for display. I'm going to use an online printing service and have the prints shipped to the gallery, so I really won't be able to see them before the show. Which is *very* tricky, I know, but it's the only option I seem to have.

I am shooting with a Rebel Xsi and the Canon 16-35L. Can anyone tell me how large I can blow up my images without losing sharpness and quality? I've never printed anything larger than an 8x10. Is 16x24 out of range for my camera and lens?

And any advice for a newbie?

Many thanks!

Gina

Re: How large can I go? First time making big prints...

well i've printed on my 5d II at 24x36" with good results so I'd say with your sensor roughly 1/2 mine about 12x18

if you want to see how 16x24 would look try cropping one of your images by a factor of 4.8 times and print to a 8x10

In the local camera store, which is run by a professional photographer, hangs a 30x40 inch print of a close-up of a bride's and groom's hands. (I hope that's proper grammar?)

It was shot with a Canon EOS 10D and I'm not sure of the lens.

The 10D is 6.3 megapixels.

I'm not joking.

The point is, if you have a sharp, well-exposed shot with perfect DOF, you can print it at least that large.

Crosbyharbison: thanks for this suggestion. I think I'll try this. --Also, I checked out your site (all too briefly). Your photos are gorgeous.

Gina

Shutterbug: that's an exciting prospect. So, if the original size looks sharp corner to corner, can I use that as a gauge do you think?

I had really nice results printing from my 450D at 20*30 inches. No problem whatsoever. I wouldn't hesitate to go even larger if I had to. Problem is that my internetprintingservice doesn't go beyond 20*30 and I don't have the room to put any larger than that in my room [:P]

That's with a non-cropped picture by the way. I assume the more you crop, the smaller your maximum print will be. But 20*30 shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck

Edit: I see the 450D == XSi and you ask for "only" 16*24, you don't have to worry at all!

Unless the printingservice is real bad of course [6]

Sheiky: I'm using Mpix.com which was highly recommended by someone I don't know well, but it looks like LensRentals.com thinks well enough of them to include them on their resource links list, so here's hoping. They offer 24x36 by the way, if you want to clear your walls and make room for something larger!

http://www.mpix.com/PrintPricing.aspx

I'm not cropping anything--good to know--and thanks for taking the edge off my nervousness.

I've printed dozens of 13" x 19" from a Rebel XT (only 8 megapixels) that look fabulous. I've even printed a 13" x 19" from a Canon G2 (4 megapixels) with only very close examination of that print revealing the pixel limitation. You should be fine.

Gina; I really can't speak about your question, but for Mpix...they're superb.

I had them do a pano (made up of 7 pix) for me and I can't believe I took the pic that they sent me....10x30.

In fact you can email or talk to a representative that will give you the answer to your question on size and what would work best for you.....I found them to be very helpful, quick responses and they followed up to make sure I was satiisfied w/the final product.

You can feel confident they will do a nice job.

Good luck....and post some pix.

Bill