Thread: Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland

I've been somewhat frustrated with my "photographers eye" when taking winter photos. Maybe it is the lack of color but I'm having a real problem "finding" the picture. Or, maybe it was the fact that it was 2 degrees outside. I welcome any comments and suggestions.

Picture is resized and has not been cropped or sharpened. Photo was taken in Marion, KS. Weather was cloudy with a freezing fog advisory.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.39/IMG_5F00_0341.JPG[/img]Canon EOS 50D - 17-55/2/8 IS @ 17mm, f10, 1/400s, ISO100 w/tripod

Jeremy (Cytoman)

Re: Winter Wonderland

This one too... Same conditions and settings.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.39/IMG_5F00_0346.JPG[/img]
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

I really like the first one. The second one's alright, but I like the hint of color in the sky coupled with the contrasting darkness of the posts.

I really dig the composition on the first one. The natural color that is available to you in the shot seems appropriate and well-captured. Ironically, when I saw it, my first thought was you had taken it at the beach, because it looks like sand with sea oats. Thought you were being funny! Maybe a circular polarizer could have drawn out more intense blue in the sky, but it doesn't look wrong as is.

The second one isn't quite as appealing to me, but there are elements that I like.

I like your first one alot! especially the fence position in the framing..... this one (the second) looks like a broken rule of thirds and the sky is a bit "blown out"(overexposed)....great shots!

I agree with previous comments about the composition of the first photo - it's impressive! I do think it's a little underexposed (which likely accounts forHiFiGuy1'scomment about it looking like a beach - underexposed snow is not white). Pushing it up by 2/3 of a stop or so would have helped, I think.

The second one is nice, might have benefitted from reframing and perhaps being shot from a lower angle.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll keep shooting and posting.
    Jeremy (Cytoman)