Thread: a couple of questions regarding lenses & warranties

a couple of questions regarding lenses & warranties

Hello everybody,

I am hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have.

First, I recently bought a canon lens -- refurbished -- and it came with a warranty card which stated "international warranty" across the top, then "canon usa canon canada" directly beneath. Given my chronic disorganization, I couldn't recall nor locate other warranty cards for Canon products and I'm wondering if the warranty is valid in the states. I expect it is, from the Canon USA entry, but I'd like to double check. fwiw, the vendor states that the item has a "usa warranty."

Second, I have some lenses that have seen rather hard use over the years. They still work, and still help in taking nice photos (sometimes! ;-) but I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb or whatever for how to care for lenses. For instance, do you have them recalibrated or otherwised renewed after x number of years? Is such a thing helpful? Expensive? I'm just looking for general information here & appreciate any & all help.

cheers.

Re: a couple of questions regarding lenses & warranties

Hi zhak....

1. All Canon USA products include a Canada/USA warranty. It's all written in fine printin the warranty card under- Limited Warranty.

Also on the Warranty card, there should be a page that contains information about the Canon Sales and Service Centres, thus for Canada, we have both a Canon USA contact information and a Canon Canada contact information. Would you mind informing us who the vendor is/was and also is this a 'Grey Market' lens? If it is, then the lens is to be shipped back to the vendor for repair which I'm sure they will ship to a third party repair facility.

2. I guess it depends on how the lenses are handled. Similar to changing oil in a car. If you are hard on the car, then the oil change is required sooner than later. Every few years I guess is a good number but this is open for further comments/suggestions. As for pricing, you would have to call Canon and explain the issue, they'll inform you of an upfront fee possibly 60 bucks which I think they will apply to the final bill if more work is required. I'm sure other members in these forums can confirmor comment on this.

My 24-105 lens purchased was used, by aCanadian user who purchased the 5D Mark II and kit lens (24-105)via USA, but had no use for the lens, saved me about 325 in taxes!

Hope this helps...
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006

Hi zhak....

1. All Canon USA products include a Canada/USA warranty. It's all written in fine printin the warranty card under- Limited Warranty.

Also on the Warranty card, there should be a page that contains information about the Canon Sales and Service Centres, thus for Canada, we have both a Canon USA contact information and a Canon Canada contact information. Would you mind informing us who the vendor is/was and also is this a 'Grey Market' lens? If it is, then the lens is to be shipped back to the vendor for repair which I'm sure they will ship to a third party repair facility.

My understanding was that if there was a USA warranty card that it wasn't grey market. Am I wrong about that? The vendor says it's a refurbished lens with a valid USA warranty. I got a decent price (I think) and it's a beautiful lens, I'm just curious in a general way. I've never yet had to send anything back to Canon & hopefully won't have to now either. It was the "international warranty" part that threw me off, you see.

The vendor is Cameta Camera. They're not, you know, that guy in Brooklyn ... :-)

2. I guess it depends on how the lenses are handled. Similar to changing oil in a car. If you are hard on the car, then the oil change is required sooner than later. Every few years I guess is a good number but this is open for further comments/suggestions. As for pricing, you would have to call Canon and explain the issue, they'll inform you of an upfront fee possibly 60 bucks which I think they will apply to the final bill if more work is required. I'm sure other members in these forums can confirmor comment on this.

The lens takes fine photos, but the zoom isn't as smooth as it was, and it has endured some mishaps during various events I've photographed. Call it several years of medium usage. I was just wondering if there was a standard that people used to reckon when or if a lens needed a bit of help.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thank you very much for you reply. This is my first post here. :-)

cheers,

zhak

Welcome to the TDP Forums.....

Does the warranty card have the lens information on it, like model type and name? If so, then you should not have a problem also, when it comes to refurbed units, I'm afraind that I'm limited inmy knowledgeas Iam unsure as to how the warranty works. Some of these refurbed warranties are good for 90 days and within those 90 days, you may need to ship back to the reseller. Unless you purchased extra warranty from Canon via the reseller....[*-)]

Cameta Camera, the ebay reseller. I've purchased a few items from them however; nothing too expensive more like some filters for my previously sold 28-135.

I've got my fingers crossed that some other members here may provide further details and hopefully put your mind at ease!

[:$]
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by zhak

Second, I have some lenses that have seen rather hard use over the years. They still work, and still help in taking nice photos (sometimes! ;-) but I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb or whatever for how to care for lenses. For instance, do you have them recalibrated or otherwised renewed after x number of years? Is such a thing helpful? Expensive? I'm just looking for general information here &amp; appreciate any &amp; all help.

I just had some dealings with the Canon Service Center in California. According to the Technician, there is a fixed cost associated with each lens regardless of the damage. After a drop, I sent my 24-105 into them and they quoted me $181--before a technician even looked at it. I called Canon and the rep told methat it didn't matter what was wrong with the lens, the price was the same. So my suggestion is call the Canon Servcie Center nearest youand see what the inspection/repair/Refurb cost would beon any particular lens.

Good Luck

Bob
    Bob

Welcome to the TDP Forums.....

Thank you so much. I am always hesitant to post on forums because it always seems as if everyone knows a lot more than I do. I never feel I can contribute much in return. But I'm very glad to have my mind set at ease on the subject of the new lens. The warranty card does have the lens details on it so I'm reasonably confident the lens is the real deal. It's certainly very nice ...

Cameta Camera, the ebay reseller. I've purchased a few items from them however; nothing too expensive more like some filters for my previously sold 28-135.

Yes, I think so. I got the lens via amazon, but I think it's the same outfit. And I'm cautiously pleased &amp; happy at this point in the transaction.

Thanks again for your help.

zhak

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

I just had some dealings with the Canon Service Center in California. According to the Technician, there is a fixed cost associated with each lens regardless of the damage. After a drop, I sent my 24-105 into them and they quoted me $181--before a technician even looked at it. I called Canon and the rep told methat it didn't matter what was wrong with the lens, the price was the same. So my suggestion is call the Canon Servcie Center nearest youand see what the inspection/repair/Refurb cost would beon any particular lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for the response &amp; info. I appreciate it very much.

There's a very good camera repair place in New England where I've brought cameras in the past &amp; they've always done an excellent job for me. That's probably where I'd bring the lens to, if in fact I decide to have the lens looked at. They charge a flat fee for looking something over and then give a quote which includes the initial fee.

I have a nice lens, a Canon 17-85mm, which I'd purchased instead of the normal kit lens with my first Rebel some years ago. It's my go-to lens for photographing events (people oriented, generally no great distances involved). It has held up quite nicely and allows me to get good shots, but last year, I had it set up on a tripod &amp; it got an awful whack as someone went barreling past, and I've noticed since then that the zoom isn't as smooth as it used to be. Whether that's the result of that unfortunate incident or just aggregate wear &amp; tear, I don't know. I'm very fond of it and was just curious in a very general way whether other folks had any self-imposed rules for sending in lenses for repair or recalibration. I have never had a lens serviced in any way.

cheers,

zhak