Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next landscape lens?

Next landscape lens?

Hello,

I've got a 5dII, 16-35mm and 24-105mm, with polarizers, flashes, Gitzo, etc. What would be a good next lens, especially for landscape? I'm thinking of either the new 70-200 f/2.8 coming out, or the 24mm TS-E, and leaning heavily towards the TS-E.The 70-200 would be more general purpose, but I already have a lens with some reach, and I'd like a fully manual lens. I somewhat miss the days with my Canon AE-1 where I had to set everything on the lens manually, it added to the experience (but I missed more photos).

Or other suggestions? I'd like to try wildlife too someday. I also have a wedding to go to this year probably, so the 70-200 would be nice for that. On the other hand, the other day I had the chance to spend some good time with a 70-200 f/2.8 mkI and 70-200 f/4 IS. I thought I was a he-man, but the f/2.8 is so dang heavy. Found myself a little annoyed with the weight - but it is a gorgeous lens.

Thanks!

Re: Next landscape lens?

I think the ultimate landscape lens IS the 16-35 which you already have. I suppose next would be......... the 14mm f/2.8 L USM. Have you used this sexy bad-boy yet?! It's great! As far as setting things manually... plus added panorama options, the TS-Es would be nice. I have used the 17mm TS and it's GREAT! That's all I can comment on the subject.... oh yeah... and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM is SWEET! I don't have one because I'm waiting for the new one to come out, but I've rented it several times and wish I had one!

- Jordan Murphy

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Equipment: Canon 7D, 50D, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 100-400, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Kenko extension tube 3pc set, 2 430EXII Speedlites, Manfrotto monopod and tripod with video pan head.

Quote Originally Posted by danm

Hello,

The 70-200 would be more general purpose,
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Some of the best landscapes I have seen were shot with a 200mm. Get the 70-200.

Mark
    Mark

Wanna sell that 16-35?[:P]

For landscapes, why not the 70-200/4L IS?

Okay... I just got the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and I have to say, it's INSANELY sharp.... sharper than the 16-35 I think... certainly not any worse. Now being 2.8 it is fast but... with only a 5mm zoom range - it may as well be a prime. I still like it!

I have a full frame 5DII

I find the 16-35II to be very sharp 16-24 or so. 35mm not so much, but a great landscape lens none the less.

I'd say get the 70-200 next unless you are doing architectural landscapes then I'd suggest TS-E.

Given the lenses I have - 16-35II and 24-105mm, I'm beginning to think that the next best lens for a landscape/nature kit is ....

Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L Telephoto/Macro

Why? The other lenses cover the low to middle range, but the other two extremes when out in nature - ultra close macro and telephoto are covered by this lens. What I would carry around on a nature hike would be the 5dII/16-35mm, and the 180mm on a Rebel body, with the 24-105 handy when general purpose shooting is warranted.

Thoughts?

I'd go with the 17mm TS-E