Thread: best lens to combo with 10-22?

best lens to combo with 10-22?

Hi everyone! Just want to ask for your help & suggestions. What would be a best combo for the 10-22? Acutally there's another post that i've made asking between the 15-85 vs 17-55. Having said that i'll simplify my point asi'm considering 3 lenses to go with my 10-22.

I like the 15-85 because of its versatility on both wide & long end with very good image quality.

I like the 17-55 because of the constant f2.8 aperture BUT it is expensive and the range is a bit short but not too bad.

Lastly, i'm considering the 24-105 because having the 10-22 covered I think it is a useful range as well and of course the fact its an L lens.

I think the 3 lenses are very good but comments and suggestions would be greatlyappreciated. My other main concern is that, f2.8 against f4? Would it be that bad shooting indoors for f4?Or just switch to 50mm f1.8 in those situations?

Thanks!

Re: best lens to combo with 10-22?

What do you shoot the most? Landscapes? If so, go with the 24-105 for the best range as you won't need the wide aperture anyway.

Remember - the more lenses you have, the more switches you'll have to do and more weight in your bag.

My 24-70 f2.8L goes well with my 10-22. Surely I won't miss the 22-24 mid range. 17-55 f2.8 is also good for those "in case I need wide that I don't need to change back to my 10-22".

I have the 10-22, the 17-55, and a 70-200. Of the three, the 17-55 gets used most (by far). It's a fantastic general purpose lens for a crop body. I highly recommend it. If cost is of great concern, I suggest the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-Vibration controlled). It's a very solid lens, as far as image quality is concerned, for the money (although I've never actually used one, I'm simply giving my opinion based on the reviews I've seen, including Bryan's).

[Bryan's review seems to be down at the moment...not sure what's going on. I'm sending him an email about it]

I have the 24-105 f/4 L IS USM and find it's IS to be phenomenal! It's crazy how low I can go with that thing.... like 1/20 sec even and and still not blurry. I would ask this: What camera body do you have? I have a 7D and a 50D and they are good at higher ISOs... if you have an older body, you might want to not bump the ISO up. My philosophy on lenses is very simple: Why buy something that will get you buy only to have to try and sell it later (usually not making your full money back). Does it sound like I'm made of money? I'm not... but still... get something you really want and will last you a long while. Which, I think is either the 17-55 2.8 or the 24-105 f/4 L. The 15-85 isn't a bad lens but slow and variable aperture.... don't get that for sure!

- Jordan Murphy

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Equipment: Canon 7D, 50D, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 100-400 L IS USM, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Kenko extension tube 3pc set, 2 430EXII Speedlites, Manfrotto monopod and tripod with video pan head.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions & comments! I really appreciate it.

@ Jordan--thanks for your comment sir! I have a 500D and really having a hard time what would be best to match my 10-22. I find the 17-55 f2.8 really really nice aside from its price and the focal length a bit short. On the other hand the 24-105 seems to be a better match for the 10-22 but would probably change to 10-22 everytime for the wide angle coverage as i find 24mm really tight. I shoot some landscapes & some portrait. And I find the 15-85 very versatile for its range from both ends.

One more vote for the 24-105! The 10-22 / 24-105 combo is my "I want to travel light" kit and I find they cover a very nice focal length range for most walk-around situations. And, yes, missing 23mm is really not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    and find it's IS to be phenomenal! It's crazy how low I can go with that thing....

I love the IS on the 24-105. It's my preferred museum lens because of it. In fact, I've gone as low as 1/4 sec (!!!) in some cases and still got decent results. My keeper rate is pretty low at those shutter speeds, but I usually fire a burst of shots and I get at least one or two usable ones.

Tony