Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a gadget!

Suggest a gadget!

I have some Amazon gift certificates, about $500 worth. What should I get?

I have 580II and 420 Speedlights. 5DmII, 16-35mm and 24-105mm, B+W circular polarizers for said lenses, Gitzo tripod and head, and various Lowepro bags.

I'm waiting on another lens until the new 70-200 comes out. I want to upgrade my ball head to a RRS, but later ... I will get LightRoom 3 when it comes out, in the meantime I have money burning a hole in my pocket. Help me spend it!

I'm considering a light meter, but I'm not sure which one, or how much its worth it. Any other suggestions? I do landscapes/nature, and want to get into portraits of the family (so will be learning about strobes, etc)

Re: Suggest a gadget!

I'll throw out a few zany ideas for landscape, nature, and portrait photography:

Have you tried panoramic landscape photography? If you like it, you can get a really nice setup to put on top of your tripod. (I recommend Nodal Ninja - not sure if Amazon carries it).

How about low light thin DOF portraits? Maybe an 85mm f/1.8 for that?

Consider perhaps the older 100mm f/2.8 Macro for nature shots?

Better Beamer

RRS L bracket

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II

Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3

Maybe a new computer to handle those large files?

Ummm.... an 85mm f/1.2 II L USM is almost $2,000 alone! He said $500 not $5,000! haha!

I like the 85 1.8 and the 100 2.8 Macro idea...

Also, a fisheye is always fun (PURELY FUN THOUGH... SO BEWARE) and since you just want to burn the money, might as well have fun no?! haha!

Wow that is some crazy picture Jordan!!! I like it a lot [Y]

If you don't already have these

an external drive for backup storage

1.4 extender

Extension tubes

lens and sensor cleaning supplies

Neutral density and graduated neutral density filters---very handy for landscapes

and lets not forget extra batteries and CF cards

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by danm
    I will get LightRoom 3 when it comes out,

you may already know this, but Adobe has released the Beta version of LR3 and it is available for download and use until the production version comes out---I think April
    Bob

Great suggestions folks, keep 'em coming!

I'm trying to wrap my head around color and light settings. I'm thinking about the
    <h1 class="parseasinTitle"]<span id="btAsinTitle"]X-Rite ColorChecker Passport</h1>

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002NU5UW8/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&amp;m=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&amp;v=glance

for $100. Any opinions?

I would go with a nice set of B&amp;W filters. Circular polarizer and graduated ND.

Quote Originally Posted by danm

I'm considering a light meter, but I'm not sure which one,
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN;" lang="EN"]<span style="font-family: Arial;"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN;" lang="EN"]Sekonic L-358 Flash Master<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN;" lang="EN"]Or<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"]Sekonic L-758DR<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"]Very useful especially if you use fill flash.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"]Mark<span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>
    <span style="font-size: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN;" lang="EN"]<font face="Arial"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]
    </font>

Mark