Page 38 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Re: Post your best Macro shots

Holy crap! Where are you from Freelance?? Those look much different than the wasps here. This is what I'm used to seeing:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0121.IMG_5F00_3079.jpg[/img]
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

That looks like what we call (in Australia), a European Wasp.

I saw one in a museum in Sweden, apprently they call them German wasps. Not sure what Germans call them though...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie

That looks like what we call (in Australia), a European Wasp.

I saw one in a museum in Sweden, apprently they call them German wasps. Not sure what Germans call them though...

HAHA! Maybe they call them Australian Wasps? Or just "Vasps"? heh.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

de.wikipedia.org/.../Deutsche_Wespe Yep, even the germans claim responsibility for them and call them the Deutsche Wespe, as does every other language on the "this page in other languages" (except the finnish and thai that I can't read). Strangely enough the icelandic just calls them 'house wasps'.

Still, it looks like the same one that is one of australia's worst introduced pests...

Those wasps freelance put up with the purple wings look more like australian native wasps, which i'd presume if he wasn't from the states.

And come to think of it, Denise, since when are bees metallic green? and with white stripes and not yellow?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Rocco, we have yellows ones like that too. I

It's a Waspy kind of thread at the moment, so here's what's making a nest under the eaves at the moment. (or re-using the nest he or another one made a while back). Some kind of native Australian Paper Wasp (I've taken other photos of them chewing up the wooden stakes in the garden, which they vomit up to make these nests).

Playing around with my new 430EX speedlite, mounted on a tripod about 3' high (to my lower right), zoom on 105mm, 2:1 ratio to the 7D onboard flash with wireless trigger, 70-300L on 68mm Kenko tubes, me standing on a kitchen chair about 50cm away from him (under the eaves is about 220cm up). 140mm, 1/200s, f/13, iso200.

I knew that the 7D had the inbuilt speedlite transmitter when I bought it, but didn't think much of it because i never planned to use a flash much past the inbuilt. If i'd known how useful it was I would have bought one with the body last year, I'm in love with it already...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6888.IMG_5F00_0653rcs700x550.JPG[/img]

Edit: I'm not sure if I like it rotated and cropped, it gets a bit tighter than the 'hanging' style, but i like the pose of the wasp on top...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/500x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4604.IMG_5F00_0653rRcs500x700.JPG[/img]
    Gear Photos

Baby larva looking at me before it's born, freaky.

Think this one was with the speedlite on the hotshoe, the white-painted background got washed out but the centre was perfectly exposed.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7737.IMG_5F00_0515rcs600x700.JPG[/img]
    Gear Photos

Freelanceshots, those are strange wasps.

Since we are on bees... here is a little different color from the wasps. A green bee.

I saw quit a few or these this year. I do not remember seeing these much in the past, but maybe I am just looking more since I got a macro lens.Looking back a few post, Isee Denise has some real nice close up shots of green bees.

als
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Fantastic bee and wasp shots!! Sorry to detour the thread away from them ...

This guy was sitting happily on a Radish leaf in my garden, until he got a lens shoved in his face.
    I think my 85/1.8 with kenko tubes is my new favourite macro (no IS, but nowhere near as heavy as the 70-300L).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1181rcs600x700.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	111