Page 52 of 101 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Denise, I never thought I would be in favor of textures, but the ones you have displayed here have changed my mind and I might have to look into those. Fantastic post work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Denise, I never thought I would be in favor of textures, but the ones you have displayed here have changed my mind and I might have to look into those. Fantastic post work!
    Thank you, Jayson!! Neither was I until I started playing around with them. You can definitely overdue the application (which I have been guilty of) but you can also adjust them to be very subtle even if used just to adjust the lighting or hint of color. The possibilities of just one texture are endless. Right now, I pretty much take someone's texture and I use NIK Color Efex and PS to adjust them and make them my own final texture. Eventually, I want to start from scratch with my own.

Certainly doesn't qualify to be in the "best" part of this thread, more an experiment to try out some new equipment.
    I got off ebay recently an Olympus Bellows system, in absolutely mint condition, for less than $100.
    Problem is, I can't afford the proper Olympus Bellows Lenses to go with it (like the 28mm or 35mm, specifically designed for 5x - 12x magnification, sort of like their version of the MP-E), at auction they go for $300-500 maybe once or twice a month, or sometimes I see a Buy It Now for $700.
    Another problem is that my 7D flash gets in the way when mounting, so I have to stick a 12mm Kenko Tube (not a big problem, I'm already shooting macro anyway).
    And final problem is that of the 2 Olympus OM lenses I've got, one is a Super Ozeck II 28/2.8, up to 1:4 macro on its own. Mount it on the bellows by itself with the Kenko tube and there's too much extension even at infinity focus, the focal point is touching the glass.
    The other OM lens I've got is a Helios 28/2.8, a crappy Japanese ripoff, not the nice Soviet ones from KMZ. It's also too close when mounted front-wise, but it's not so bad reverse-mounted (the Ozeck doesn't reverse mount in this rig).

So, given that I can only use 1 lens in 1 configuration, I thought I'd test it out to see how well it does.
    And i'm pleasantly surprised by the results, mounted reversely, full bellows extension, at what the lens says is f/9, I'm not doing the numbers to work out "real" aperture (needless to say it's very diffraction-limited, much like the MP-E).

Anyway, here's the setup, until I finish building my ring-lights the 430EX is all i've got.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6170brcs700x600.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	951

Anyway, shrunk down to 1200x800 the photos doesn't look too bad. This is an uncropped shot, of an 0603 LED (that's 0.06" x 0.03", 1.6mm x 0.8mm), so the whole frame is probably 3x2mm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6169rs1200x800.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	952

Not that i'll be taking shots that small every day, but it's nice to know what it's capable of.
    Now all I need to do is find something that small to photograph (*waits for a dirty comment*).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

No I won't let you take a picture of mine....

I used to do the bellows w/ my old canon FD stuff - the canon bellow were truly over engineered, weighed a ton, etc.

I am thinking of getting the 180 just to get some working distance.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

A belated welcome to the macro thread Joel. Those first few are excellent.

Denise, I think your post processing is spot on with those last two shots of yours. I really hope you don't have to let your macro lens go.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I am thinking of getting the 180 just to get some working distance.
    The extra working distance makes a big difference, especially with insects. It was a big upgrade from the EF-S 60mm macro that I started with. I don't think I would have been able to get any closer to these subjects without casting a shadow. Both are from yesterday, using natural light.

5D Mark II, EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM @f/9, 1/160s, ISO 640

5D Mark II, EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM @f/9, 1/160s, ISO 320

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer View Post
    A belated welcome to the macro thread Joel. Those first few are excellent.

Denise, I think your post processing is spot on with those last two shots of yours. I really hope you don't have to let your macro lens go.
    Thanks, Andy! I sold my macro lens about an hour ago Oh well, since I also just sold my Sigma 85mm a few minutes ago, I am hoping I will be able to snag a non-Canon less expensive macro lens sometime. Figures I would sell it right when my flowers are starting to bloom in my garden and the butterflies are returning!

BTW - Fantastic shots, nice and sharp and i love the buttery smooth background!!

Denise, you might consider the Canon 100mm f/2.8 non-L macro - IQ is similar to the L, just lacks IS and weather sealing.

FWIW, there's one on my local CL for $375.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pho/2986426305.html

Seller's location is convenient for me - if you're interested, PM me - I can test it, buy it and send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Denise, you might consider the Canon 100mm f/2.8 non-L macro - IQ is similar to the L, just lacks IS and weather sealing.

FWIW, there's one on my local CL for $375.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pho/2986426305.html

Seller's location is convenient for me - if you're interested, PM me - I can test it, buy it and send it to you.
    Denise, all of my macro shots are either with that lens or the 300 f4 IS with extension tubes. It is a great lens and you just have to keep yourself a little steadier than with the IS version. Its a great lens and very good at portraits to I might add. It is almost always available on the refurbished area on the Canon site also if this one is out of the question.

Here are a couple shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    all of my macro shots are either with that lens or the 300 f4 IS with extension tubes
    How do you like the 300mm? Do you ever use it with a 1.4 TC?

Dave