Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Denise, you might consider the Canon 100mm f/2.8 non-L macro - IQ is similar to the L, just lacks IS and weather sealing.

FWIW, there's one on my local CL for $375.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pho/2986426305.html

Seller's location is convenient for me - if you're interested, PM me - I can test it, buy it and send it to you.
    Thank you, John! That is so nice of you to offer to take the time to do that for me but I #1 cannot have you go through the trouble. Also, I supposedly won't be getting the $ for my macro until mid week or so. So, I don't want to jump the gun in case it falls through.

I used to have the Sigma 70mm w/o IS (or OS) which worked out fine and I really liked the results (the slow AF and noise was annoying). But that was a lighter lens. I think I may need IS on anything bigger. I have a chance at getting a really good deal on the Sigma 105mm with OS but still slightly more than I was hoping to spend and I am not sure how IQ will be on that one.

Maybe I should shoot with my macro lens with the IS turned off for a few days and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    How do you like the 300mm? Do you ever use it with a 1.4 TC?

Dave
    Dave, I almost use the lens exclusively with a Kenko 1.4x TC. I don't own a Canon version since the price difference was greater and I can use this with my 100mm macro also. I do like the lens especially using it to catch butterflies and bugs, however I don't really care for it that much when it comes to other stuff like birds. I think I would have much preferred purchasing the 100-400mm zoom if I were to do things all over again. There have been too many times that I wished I could have pulled back and ended up missing the shot I wanted. I think it will come in a little more handy once the oldest kiddo starts playing sports. However, I would probably start using my 70-200mm zoom a little more. It has kind of gathered a little dust in the bag since getting the 300mm. Zoom is just a little long for most applications right now on my 7D. Maybe when the 5D enters the game it will see more use. Sorry for the rambling.

I went to the Calgary zoo yesterday and played around in the butterfly exhibit. Lots of fun!

Canon 5D2, 180 mm f/3.5 macro lens, ring flash, 1/200 sec @ f/11, ISO 400

Rhododendron flower
    1D MKIV
    180mm f/3.5L Macro + 2X TC III
    Tripod
    ISO 3200
    f/13
    1/60
    Ambient light only

It is really nice to see all of the great shots posted here. Now, I just want to go out on a flower and bug safari. It would seem that I needed a good swift kick in my complacency. For those with an anatomical interest, complacency is located in the same vicinity as the laurels when one chooses to rest upon them for too long.

"The Chosen One"

Just for fun...

Canon 7D
    70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Mk I
    3 Kenko extension tubes, Kekno 1.4x Teleconverter
    f/32 1/250sec ISO 100

2 White Lightning Ultrazap 1600s
    2 Quantaray shoe-mount flashes
    1 scarf

The Chosen One by budrowilson, on Flickr

Hi Sean

You say three extension tubes. How many centimetres (or millimetres if you like) is that? At what focal length did you take the picture (70 or 200 or in between?).

Lars

I used all three Kenko extension tubes that come in the set--12mm, 20mm, and 36mm. The focal length was 182mm when coupled with the 1.4x teleconverter (according to the EXIF), so that means the lens itself was actually set to 130mm. Technically, I could have done the shot without the 1.4x teleconverter, but when I originally set up I was taking pictures of smaller subjects; plus I wanted the advantage (at least advantage in this case) of having one more stop of DOF (up to f/45) if I needed for the particular subject.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 05-04-2012 at 10:45 AM.

A Gray Tree Frog with an identity crisis... (because he is actually green).
    This guy showed up on my window this evening.

Gray Tree Frog-3101 by westmichigan, on Flickr
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Speaking of flashes.....do you folks that are experienced Macro shooters recommend the ring flash units or the twin head units for use with the Canon 180mm macro? Which one produces the best results in your opinion?