Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 compatibility

Windows 7 compatibility

Does anyone know if DPP, Utility and Zoombrowser are Windows 7 compatible? I've already discovered that my Photoshop Elements 6 isn't[] I'm planning to but a new PC soon and will probably have Windows 7 installed.

Re: Windows 7 compatibility

As long as you download the latest version, you should have no trouble.

Oh, and if you pay a bit more for the Professional version of 7, you get a copy of XP Pro that runs on a virtual machine. This can help with compatibility of old software.

I have the mentioned apps installed in Windows 7 x64 with the exception of Photoshop Elements. I have yet to see an error message of some sort.

Please keep in mind that if these apps worked in Vista, then 9/10 they will work in Windows 7.

Hope this helps...
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

After installing EOS viewer and EOS Utility on my Windows 7 Home 64-bit machine, I found that it couldn't connect to my 20D. I think this is less an issue of the software not working an more an issue of the PTP connection I am forced to use. Windows 7 cannot connect with the "normal" communications mode as set on the camera. Instead, you must use the "PTP" mode. This prevents advanced communications with the device and only lets you read and write to the camera's flash card.

Here's canon's official Windows 7 compatibility list. The 20D has an asterisk after it; yours may not.

I also found this page in the support tab of the 20D's product page by searching for "windows 7". It goes into more details about the limitations of the device in Windows 7. You may want to do a similar search for your camera and find out if there are similar limitations.

Thanks everyone. I'm jumping from XP to Windows 7, I never used Vista so it's all a rather big leap!

Quote Originally Posted by cian3307

Thanks everyone. I'm jumping from XP to Windows 7, I never used Vista so it's all a rather big leap!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I would suggest a clean install. Even if you intend on doing an upgrade, I'd suggest backing up everything you can't live without--you may be forced to do a clean install anyway (like if you're going from an x86 version of Windows to x64).

One more thing--Canon has yet to release a Raw Codec for Windows 7 (that I know of). However, you can download a codec pack here that will allow you to preview RAW files natively in windows like any other picture file.

If you are jumping from XP to Win7, you will be forced to do a clean install, this is the only supported 'upgrade' path.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyO

If you are jumping from XP to Win7, you will be forced to do a clean install, this is the only supported 'upgrade' path.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Ah, that's true, I forgot about that. I was going from Vista x86 to Windows 7 x64...and upgrading was not an option either.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

However, you can download a codec pack [url="http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/]here[/url] that will allow you to preview RAW files natively in windows like any other picture file.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sean, thanks much for that link.