Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critique for lake near Whistler

Re: Critique for lake near Whistler

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I like your rendition, Alan.

interesting indeed.....[^o)]

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I like your rendition, Alan.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

interesting indeed.....[img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

[]

Very nice work, Daniel. The composition is good, colors are well balanced. I would experiment with the green tones in the water, maybe increase saturation just a little bit. The transition between the green tones in the water and the trees are good but maybe a little more green could be nice.

I think the composition is great but it feels a little warm to me. Maybe a slight reduction in the colour temp would help.

A couple of things would help this shot out -

1. CPL filter to get rid of those reflections and deepen the colour of the water. Might also bring out the blues of the sky.

2. Graduated ND filter to give some sky a bit of drama. A bit hard to do with a CPL attached at the same time though. I notice you used Lightrooom 2 for post, maybe add a -exposure graduated filter in LR.

Just my thoughts anyway - since when did I give you advice anyway Daniel. Surely it's got to be the other way around!

BTW Daniel - I've started using the AF-ON button for focus as you suggested in another post. I love it, can't believe I never tried it before. I'm just thinking about all those missed opportunities. Cheers.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

The scene looks great.I agree withbtaylor. Perhaps a polarizer would have allowed the gravel under the water to look clearer and enhanced the sky and clouds.

I hope you didn't take the shot recently or else the Winter Olympics will be a bust.

Daniel,

I amneither very experienced nature photographer nor photography critic, but here are my 2 pennies.

The composition is strong and harmonious: foreground interest, nice reflection, placement of the horizon and the saddle, interesting sky - all are pleasure to look at.

As far ascolor/saturation/contrast settings go,I have no problem with them, but if you (for example) wanted to sell the photograph there would be a demand to boost them some.

The only things I finda little distractingare the leaf andthose smalltwigsin the bottom right corner. I would clonethem out.

Overall, I likethe picture very much, andI'm looking forward to see more []

Pete

Alan

This thread is an example where the suggestions about color, saturation, etc. need to be placed visually, for all to see what is meant by them.

It would be best to download Daniel's picture, do the adjustments you are referring to, then repost the image for all to see.

[]

I have to disagree. If the water lost reflectivity then that beautiful blue path leading up and to the right might have been diminished.

The colors and contrast in this shot are really bold. If it weren't for the reflection on the water I'd have guessed you used a polarizer.

Thanks for the additional feedback everyone, I appreciate it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

This thread is an example where the suggestions about color, saturation, etc. need to be placed visually, for all to see what is meant by them.

It would be best to download Daniel's picture, do the adjustments you are referring to, then repost the image for all to see.
    Better yet -- download the raw file itself!

Download the original raw file

I would love it if some of you could try your own raw conversion of it. The image is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    1. CPL filter to get rid of those reflections and deepen the colour of the water. Might also bring out the blues of the sky.
    Good suggestion. I could also rotate the polarizer to *increase* the reflections. I'll have to try it both ways.

Just my thoughts anyway - since when did I give you advice anyway Daniel. Surely it's got to be the other way around!
    [] I need all the help I can get.

BTW Daniel - I've started using the AF-ON button for focus as you suggested in another post. I love it, can't believe I never tried it before. I'm just thinking about all those missed opportunities. Cheers.
    Excellent! It's amazing how many features our cameras have.

Quote Originally Posted by EdN
    I hope you didn't take the shot recently or else the Winter Olympics will be a bust.
    [] It's from September - I was really lucky to get such beautiful weather for that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo
    The only things I find a little distracting are the leaf and those small twigs in the bottom right corner. I would clone them out.
    I agree.

I like the composition. I did a RAW conversion along the lines of what I'd do to my own shot, I probably laid of the blues more than I normally would though.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/2009_2D00_09_2D00_15_2D00_8408sm.jpg[/img]