Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critique for lake near Whistler

Re: Critique for lake near Whistler

Daniel, Love the Composition---try some black and white with heavy red filter. Then Mess with the other filters to see what works.

I tried to download your original "raw" file but it downloaded as an unsupported Tiff file. Anyway, this looks like an Ansell Adams pic in the rough----Again, I think B&W is the way to go. Giveit a shot and let us see the results.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    1. CPL filter to get rid of those reflections and deepen the colour of the water. Might also bring out the blues of the sky.
    Good suggestion. I could also rotate the polarizer to *increase* the reflections. I'll have to try it both ways.

I think it's a very good idea totry different degrees of polarization. Sometimes things look better polarized, other times they look better less polarized or even unpolarized. I sometimes blend polarized foliage (punchier colors) with unpolarized water (nice reflections).

Well I had a little play with your image Daniel to see what I could come up with. I had the same issue with the RAW file as somebody else here did so I had to use the downsized jpeg (so not optimal but worked ok).

First thing I did was reduce the colour temp so it looked nice and cool (as whistler probably is at any time of the year - remember I live smack back in the middle of Australia so if it's below 35 deg celcius I consider it cold).

Then I added a slightminus exposure graduated filter in LR2 to get a little more definition in the clouds toward the top of the frame.

Also cloned out the distracting leaves/ twigs in the the bottom right corner of the frame in CS4 (very roughly though).

Next step was to reduce the exposure and slightly increase the saturation of the first mountain to seperate it more from the mountain behind it. I also dodged the snowy looking sections on the side of the mountain to add some more interest.

And that was it I think. Anyway here's the result. [] Hope you like!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/Daniel-Browning-Reworked.jpg[/img]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I did a RAW conversion along the lines of what I'd do to my own shot, I probably laid of the blues more than I normally would though.
    Your interpretation is great.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    try some black and white with heavy red filter. Then Mess with the other filters to see what works.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried to download your original "raw" file but it downloaded as an unsupported Tiff file.
    It's probably because the 5D2 is not supported by your program. Try this DNG version of the raw file:

2009-09-15-8408.dng

Well I had a little play with your image Daniel to see what I could come up with.
    Looks great!

I had the same issue with the RAW file as somebody else here did
    You might try the DNG file above.

Also cloned out the distracting leaves/ twigs in the the bottom right corner of the frame in CS4 (very roughly though).
    That really helps. It makes the rock more of a distinct circle, which adds to the image I think.

Next step was to reduce the exposure and slightly increase the saturation of the first mountain to seperate it more from the mountain behind it. I also dodged the snowy looking sections on the side of the mountain to add some more interest.
    These are great modifications.

This was a fun little attempt to make a picture improvement. Not real
    sure if my attempt to make it better worked but since I spent the time
    on it thought I'd post it.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.66/scenic-shot.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I did a RAW conversion along the lines of what I'd do to my own shot, I probably laid of the blues more than I normally would though.
    Your interpretation is great.

Thanks! Tried to make it look not too edited.

Here's my attempt :P

Ok, Here is my attempt. Still needs some work around the mountains, but I think you will get the idea. Thanks for letting us mess with your already great work.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.23/Mountain.jpg[/img]
    Bob

HMMM, The conversion and upload came out a little too dark
    Bob

Ok, Here is my attempt...HMMM, The conversion and upload came out a little too dark

I had a hard time getting an ideal B&W conversion too.