Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Critique - All Advice Highly Appreciated!

Re: Please Critique - All Advice Highly Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    My initial first thought was: flowers at a funeral. I think the background is very hard black.

Please don't apologize for your honest crtique. I have tough skin, I can take it! [] Besides, a guy I work with made the same "funeral" statement so it must have some truth to it! Actually, I attended a local art studio this weekend to view digital photos of winners for a recent contest they held and one of the photographers had numerous flower photos with each one having the "very" black background so I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks for your advice ...it is greatly appreciated. Rather than licking any wounds, it just gives me more determination to get it right.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum

Were you using direct flash? If so, try to swivel the flash off to the side and have it bounce off a white piece of poster board or paper.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I will give that a try. Heck, white poster board will be the cheapest thing I've had to buy so far unless Canon has some special type that costs $$ [:P].

Have a great day!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

A very nice pic! I agree with some of the previous comments about the baby's breath being a bit of a distraction, but I think that's mostly due to the black background. To me, a featureless monochromatic background is best used with an uncluttered subject - a 'busier' subject needs a somewhat more complex background (through still thrown out of focus with a thin DOF for the subject). The image on the left below is an example I shot last week. For your shot, some deep green foliage (fern fronds?) might have made a nice background.

The lighting also looks a little stark to me - was the 580EX II mounted on the camera? One 'gadget' you might consider is an off-camera shoe cord like the CanonOC-E3. You can hand-hold the flash for different lighting angles, and maintain E-TTL metering. Note that you can even skip the off-camera cord and manually fire the flash. For the example on the right below, the exposure was set to -2.0 EV and I hand-held my 480EX II and manually fired it (with the pilot button)with the flash held 3-4 feet from the flower,4-5 times from different anglesduring the 5 s exposure. Took a couple of tries to get the look I wanted, but that's one great thing about macro shots of flowers indoors - you have all the time you need to set up the shot!

Rebel T1i,EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]LMacro IS USM, f/9.0, ISO200; left image, 10 s with ambient light, right image, 5 s with manual flash
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    I have been thinking about the OC-E3 but have been hesitant to purchase since many reviews state it breaks very easily. I think I will still look into getting it and see for myself how it is. Thank you so much for your advice and by the way ...your photos are AWESOME!

Denise

Thanks, Denise!!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Heck, white poster board will be the cheapest thing I've had to buy so farunless Canon has some special typethat costs $$

What, you mean you don't already have the Canon WPB-50 MkII?!? It's a 50 cm square of poster board specifically designed to bounce the flash from a 430EX II or a 580EX II. Note that if you have an older flash model, such as the 550EX, you need the MkI version of the WPB-50, and smaller flash heads such as the 270EX can use the WPB-30. Yes, there are cheaper 3rd party alternatives, but they have silly features like a gold or silver reflective surface on the back side, instead of the Canon logo... []

You forgot that they are also not compatible with any of the EZ series flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    What, you mean you don't already have the Canon WPB-50 MkII?!? It's a 50 cm square of poster board specifically designed to bounce the flash from a 430EX II or a 580EX II. Note that if you have an older flash model, such as the 550EX, you need the MkI version of the WPB-50, and smaller flash heads such as the 270EX can use the WPB-30. Yes, there are cheaper 3rd party alternatives, but they have silly features like a gold or silver reflective surface on the back side, instead of the Canon logo...

So true! Thank you (and Andy)for the much needed laugh during my workday today, glad I took a sneak peek in during my lunchbreak![]

Denise