Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canon 24-70 f2.8 IS USM???

canon 24-70 f2.8 IS USM???

Just want to ask everyone if Canon would ever release the 24-70 IS version. I've read in some sites that they're going to release the IS version this year. Now, I don't know how reliable their information but it would be nice for the 24-70 to have an IS. Having a hard time at the moment whether to go for 24-105 or 24-70.I like the IS because it really helps counter camera shake and probably for low light at f4but the f2.8 is very tempting. Any thoughts guys? I shoot indoors and outdoors...thanks! IF EVER there will be a 24-70 f2.8 IS version, for sure I'll get that one.

Re: canon 24-70 f2.8 IS USM???

I'm not sure if an IS version will be released soon, but photographers are definitely begging Canon for one, so I wouldn't be surprised. Keep in mind that an IS version will probably cost more than $1800.

brendan

I'm sure there will be an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM lens at some point. There's a clamor for it, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens is very popular for users of crop bodies, and perhaps most importantly, Nikon's 24-70 doesn't have VR (the Nikon equivalent of Canon's IS). The question is when... Note that there are rumors of additional lens announcements from Canon, expected Feb 8-9th. I'd certainly hold off on until then.

I don't know if Canon will put IS in the 24-70. There is plenty of folks begging for it.

I personally don't miss IS with it (use to own the 24-105). The lens is very well balanced and I'm able to steady it on my 5DII with out any additional care. I get very sharp shots with 1/focal length shutter speeds and often lower.

I wouldn't be upset if they added it. I figure, give the masses what they want. I wouldn't upgrade for it though, for sure.

I think its better for me to hold on first untilbefore summerprobably because I don't want to regret if I'll get either the 24-105 or the 24-70. For sure the price for the 24-70 IS (if ever) will be really high & hopefully they'll drop down the price for the non IS version. Butif they'll be releasing the 24-70 IS version, what will happen now to the 24-105?

Quote Originally Posted by cxr

Butif they'll be releasing the 24-70 IS version, what will happen now to the 24-105?

Nothing, per se. They are quite different lenses - it will just be a slightly more equal comparison in that they'll both have IS. The 24-105mm will still be longer, slower, and more affordable. Look at the 70-200 series - 4 lenses with exactly the same focal length, differing in maximum aperture and IS.

You're quite right there neuroanatomist. But no one knows if canon will really release the 24-70 IS so probably the best thing to do is just wait & see until the time comes. But I say that will be a big hit if ever they'll gonna release the IS version.

cxr,

You need to decide first the conditions you will be shooting under. I have had the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 for a year and I love it. I have had zero problems with it and a very high keeper rate. I just bought the EF 24-70 f/2.8 and am still adjusting to using it. Without the IS I have discovered that I am not as steady as I once was. Still, I do get great images with it. Since a lot of my pictures are indoors without a flash a wide aperture is a must for me. I toyed with the idea of the EF 24-105 f/4 mainly due to the IS, but I would not be able to take many of the sports photos like the one below. Eight year old girls move quick!

In my recent poll, it was stated that I am well covered in mid-range zooms, but they are what I use most. I decided to try the EF 24-70 f/2.8 because I wanted the little extra reach. To me it is worth it. Furthermore, I looked into renting the EF 24-70 f/2.8 and the rate is @ $200.00 for a month. My feeling is that I can use it for a few months and should I decide I do not want it, I can sell it for @ $200.00 less than I paid and basically break even. I will most likely keep it though as my goal is to also get a full frame down the road, I am currently looking at the 5D MkII. I am also seriously considering adding the EF 24-105 f/4 for outdoors. I know it is a lot of mid-zoom, but again, it is currently my most used range and I want the best images I can afford.

To directly make a suggestion to you, if you need to stop action in low light and you are going to stay with a 1.6 crop camera, I would go with the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. If you are thinking of going full frame and need a wider aperture, then the EF 24-70 f/2.8 is for you. Also, you may want to keep the crop body as a second shooter. I have a 50D and it is better for sports than the 5D as I can shoot more frames/second.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.60/IMG_5F00_0064.JPG[/img]

Canon 50D, EF24-70mm f2.8L USM, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

As you can see, not only would I have a problem with subject movement I am at the end of my comfort zone for ISO. A f/4 would not work here for me. If the 24-70 goes IS, I will probably be in line for one, and sell my non-IS to help fund it. [<)] Plus, I have to agree with Brendan, there will be a near doubling in the price.

Good luck choosing, I know how tough it can be. []

Chris

I personally don't see a ton of value in an IS version of the 24-70. 70mm isn't that long of a focal length for hand holding. I'm hoping for a 24-105 f2.8 IS, which would be heavier than dirt for sure. But that focal length is just perfect for the work I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White

To directly make a suggestion to you, if you need to stop action in low light and you are going to stay with a 1.6 crop camera, I would go with the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. If you are thinking of going full frame and need a wider aperture, then the EF 24-70 f/2.8 is for you. Also, you may want to keep the crop body as a second shooter. I have a 50D and it is better for sports than the 5D as I can shoot more frames/second.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.60/IMG_5F00_0064.JPG[/img]

Canon 50D, EF24-70mm f2.8L USM, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

As you can see, not only would I have a problem with subject movement I am at the end of my comfort zone for ISO. A f/4 would not work here for me. If the 24-70 goes IS, I will probably be in line for one, and sell my non-IS to help fund it.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This photo completely contradicts what you say: for stop-action, and this particular photo, IS is useless. Your shutter speed is fast enough that IS isn't a key benefit. You're already at 1/focal-length for shutter speed. That's not to say that IS wouldn't be helpful for other photographic tasks and situations, but stop-action requires shutter speeds that "override" hand shake.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.