Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best SLR-companion point-and-shoot?

Re: Best SLR-companion point-and-shoot?

I used a Fuji S5700 before getting my Canon DSLR.

Not a huge number of complaints, although the batteries go flat very quickly (compared to the DSLR) and the high iso/long exposure noise gets pretty bad fairly fast.

Also not the most compact, but it served well!

I would recommend a point-and-shoot as well. I love the fact I can have it in a pocket.
    I have had my trusty Canon SD450 for years. I love the durability of the metal body, the digital macro works great.

I really like the Canon S5, well, and now the SX10, but that can't go in a pocket as easy.

got G10, although it's almost costs as much as XSi (body) it's great and maybe the only P&S i'd use for anything serious. you can attach flash, pocketwizard, and for these small camera, when lighting is good the image comes out quite nice. some people use it for macro(for sheer pleasure of course). instead of bringing a dedicated macro lens. also acts as video recorder, voice recorder etc.

Lots of good feedback! But...I'm still leaning towards the G9. It has much extensive manual mode than the other point-and-shoots I've looked at (including the SD880, which is otherwise a great camera). It shoots RAW. And it will take my 580EX, for those rare occasions when I shoot in low light and might otherwise be tempted to raise the ISO.

In other words, I think I like it because it behaves sorta like my 40D. I don't do big prints, so I'm sure I'll be fine with the image quality,
    and I doubt I'm going to feel terribly limited by the 35mm wide-angle
    when my widest lens on on my 40D is 28mm.

Am I missing anything vital?

I am personally leaning towards the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. However, my criteria is probably different than most. If I want IQ, the SLR is always with me. However, I am planning several vacations this summer with family that involve water, beaches, probable inclement weather and four kids. This camera is waterproof to 33 feet, dustproof, can be dropped six feet, can operate at -10c and can be walked on by someone weighing up to 220 lbs. That sounds like a camera built for vacations. Plus I will have no concerns with my kids operating it.

I've test driven it's predecessor and the IQ wasn't great. Hopefully this newer model will have improved on that. But, like I said, my criteria is probably different than most.

I'm using a Ricoh GRD II, it makes me a happy camper [H]

was going for a canon G10, but it is wayyyy to bulky.

I vote for the Canon G9 as it works with the external flashes, and the Panasonic Lumix FZ-**. The current FZ-28 or the next model up are great point and shoots. I don't remember the exact model but the one above the FZ-28 will allow you to manually zoom and focus which to me is invaluable. Plus at the $300 range for these cameras, they are a great deal with excellent IQ. I want to get my hands on the G10 and see what it has to offer. That purchase is reserved for the end of the year for me. Hopefully I can make up my mind before that time comes. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill M.

I just picked up a Panasonic TZ-5 over the holidays for a relatively compact P&S that takes really decent pics.

Yes, the Panasonic TZ-5 is a great choice! I would say it has everything you will ever need in a point&shoot, even though I know it's crazy to say this but it's sort of true[]. Panasonic makes great P&S cameras but not so great on DSLR, that what I understand.

Do check this out, the TZ-5 is being replaced by the TZ-6 and ZS-3. Both great cameras from the spec sheet. I will certainly get the ZS-3 when it's available in the near future.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09012706panasonictz7.asp

Ben

I just picked up a panny fx-150. It is very pocketable, which is why I picked it up. The lens is not the LX3's, which I also considered, but I think it gives pretty decent results. It also records HD, which is something the Canons do not do from my knowledge.

It is certainly no DSLR, but I was surprised in the low light abilities even when recording movies.