Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your favorite Airplane shots

Re: Post your favorite Airplane shots

I do not shoot at airshows but I have heard that 400mm is often too close. I think the Canon 70-200 IS f/4 would be a nice choice. If not, the 100-400 is a nice choice too. IS is HUGE for airshows, especially Mode 2 (panning mode). I wouldn't consider a non-IS lens.

brendan

I use the 100-400. It feels like it was designed with air shows in mind with push pull zoom. 70-200 is too short in my opinion especially for jets.

I use the whole zoom range and I usually shoot in Tv mode at 1/500. Prop planes, If I remember, I try to switch to about 1/125 or 1/250 with the IS in mode 2. Jets I turn IS off.

Wow some brilliant shots there. I particularly like that last one from Freelanceshots and that first one from Itheone.

Here's one of mine taken only 2 days ago- a little different to the rest but I liked it.

40D, 10-22mm @ 12mm and f/11.0, 1/250 sec

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/FlightWEB.jpg[/img]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

I do not shoot at airshows but I have heard that 400mm is often too close. I think the Canon 70-200 IS f/4 would be a nice choice. If not, the 100-400 is a nice choice too. IS is HUGE for airshows, especially Mode 2 (panning mode). I wouldn't consider a non-IS lens.

brendan

Nope it sure ain't to long! At least not to the shows I've been. I used my 70-200 f4L non IS. And the only thing I have to say is that 200mm is way to short a lot of the times, have to crop a lot. Here shows are often above the entire runway, so there's a line of people for like 1,5 mile? For that matter the show is based on mostly the center part, but also in the length of the runway. When I check other peoples stuff there...really it's like a photography toystore at those days [:P] The most common lens is the 100-400. Yes sometimes 400mm is a little too long, but therefor the versatility of the 100-400 is at hand. I don't see a real big difference in keeper rate if your max zoomed out is 100mm in stead of 70. Then again, this is in Europe with pretty strict regulations, so where you live they could hoover over your head, I don't know :P

I would recommend the 100-400 for a crop body. Even for a full-frame.

About IS...well I always did without. Shutterspeed is mostly not an issue when shooting high in the sky. Also a little iso like 800 max isn't really that bad on an airplane as well. I'll post some of my shots later, and will check on settings as well.

Larry...your picture of the T-28C is really kicking some serious butt! I love it!

Oh...and Whatsreal, you can also rent a lens for a day. It's cheaper than buying a lens you might not use much after the show. That's what I do this year [Y]

I'll be back with some pictures hopefully later this week []don't get too excited, they're not worth it compared to some shots here [:P]

This is my small contribution. Both taken with Canon XS (now upgraded to 40D) and 75-300mm at local airshow.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.74/AIR_5F00_0030-_2800_2_2900_.jpg[/img]

Sorry if these are too large, first time uploading files.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.74/AIR_5F00_0011.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Oh...and Whatsreal, you can also rent a lens for a day. It's cheaper than buying a lens you might not use much after the show. That's what I do this year [img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

yeah but as I said its an excellent *excuse* to get some more glass! That is part of the reason for wanting a zoom, it would prove useful to have. I love to go to the botanic garden and being able to chase birds and insects a little would be fun. (though maybe I should stick to my macro for those insects.

Nope it sure ain't to long! At least not to the shows I've been. I used my 70-200 f4L non IS. And the only thing I have to say is that 200mm is way to short a lot of the times, have to crop a lot. Here shows are often above the entire runway, so there's a line of people for like 1,5 mile? For that matter the show is based on mostly the center part, but also in the length of the runway. When I check other peoples stuff there...really it's like a photography toystore at those days [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] The most common lens is the 100-400. Yes sometimes 400mm is a little too long, but therefor the versatility of the 100-400 is at hand. I don't see a real big difference in keeper rate if your max zoomed out is 100mm in stead of 70. Then again, this is in Europe with pretty strict regulations, so where you live they could hoover over your head, I don't know :P

I would recommend the 100-400 for a crop body. Even for a full-frame.

About IS...well I always did without. Shutterspeed is mostly not an issue when shooting high in the sky. Also a little iso like 800 max isn't really that bad on an airplane as well. I'll post some of my shots later, and will check on settings as well.

hehe I stand corrected! I never thought about the push-pull being beneficiary for airshows, many (including me) don't like it.

Larry...your picture of the T-28C is really kicking some serious butt! I love it

agreed! (dang, no butt emoticon!)

Itheone, again, very nice job.

Btaylor, beautiful shot. I find it very hard to shoot from an airplane window; kudos.

brendan

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/Roch_5F00_airshow_5F00_Tbirds_5F00_042-copy-copy.jpg[/img]

calmars,

These forums are 800 pixels wide so if you re-upload those shots at that width then they will fit perfectly.

Everyone,

These shots are amazing! Are a lot of them shot in burst to get the right position are are single shots enough? What about cropping? Is it enough to fill in when you don't quite fill the frame the way it might be desired? (especially if you were to get the 70-200 because that lens is super useful in more day to day circumstances than 100-400 on a crop body especially. That may just be an amateur's opinion.) Also has anyone been to Oshkosh or a similar show where there are a bizillion people crowding out the airport? What kind of distance to subjects are we talking about here in the US?

Thanks,

Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal

Oh...and Whatsreal, you can also rent a lens for a day. It's cheaper than buying a lens you might not use much after the show. That's what I do this year [img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

yeah but as I said its an excellent *excuse* to get some more glass! That is part of the reason for wanting a zoom, it would prove useful to have. I love to go to the botanic garden and being able to chase birds and insects a little would be fun. (though maybe I should stick to my macro for those insects.

Hihi nice excuse yes, but if a 100-400 is really useful in the average day of life..I doubt it. Then you're probably better of spending just a little more and buying a 70-200 F2.8IS USM or the F4 version. But for insects, birds and flowers you might want to check out the 300mm F4L. Maybe even with an 1.4x teleconverter.

Really you can have a good excuse to buy a lens, but you'll regret it if you can't really use the lens as much as you want to. I sold my 70-200 because I don't use it as much as I used to. I'm better of renting a telelens when I need it. Proves to be cheaper after all. At least for me.