Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions: Ditch my 24-105 f/4 L for what? + poll

Opinions: Ditch my 24-105 f/4 L for what? + poll

Okay, can someone help me to think here? I bought a 24-105 f/4 L IS USM out of a kit from a local dealer about three months ago for $900. That was a GREAT deal considering it was new. I have used the lens a lot, but I'm starting to realize that the image clarity isn't up to par with what I want in my photography. It's very versatile and makes a great vacation lens, or a great single lens, but I want SHARPNESS and SPEED.... weddings, events, portraits etc... I don't use it for that.

Do you think I should sell it (I have a buyer for $900 so I won't be taking a loss on it at all) and turn around and get an EF 24-70 f/2.8 L, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM (what I'm thinking I should do), or just keep the money until something nice comes out (I hear Canon is making a big announcement soon).

My current other lenses are EF 50 f/1.4, EF-S 60 2.8 Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. As you can see, I don't really have an "all-purpose" lens besides the 24-105 f/4 L. Keep in mind I have two cropped bodies (7D and 50D) and though it's always great to plan for the future, don't plan on upgrading to FF soon (MAYBE the 1DMKIV which may as well be FF for this point) Should I keep it or turn around and buy a faster one with less focal length? PLEASE HELP ME MAKE MY DECISION! I'll spend FOREVER deciding and maybe I'm over-looking some great points!

- Jordan

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Re: Opinions: Ditch my 24-105 f/4 L for what? + poll

I voted for the 17-55 simply because I have it and love it. If I could only have one lens, that would be it. It isn't perfect, but it is certainly the most versatile tool in my bag.

The next big announcement, if I remember correctly, is in very early February. At least wait until then; if nothing groundbreaking is released, get the 17-55. If a 24-70 with IS is announced get that whatever the cost IMHO.

brendan

Thanks Sean! Yeah that's what I'm leaning toward. I rented it two days ago (first time I'd ever used it) and I'm taking it back in a couple hours... I didn't get a ton of shots with it, but I can see it's VERY sharp and with the 2.8 AND IS.... it's nice. 2.8 OR IS is good but this has both!

The one thing I DON'T like about it is the build quality. It definitely doesn't feel very L-ish... even though I know it is basically L inside. Plus it's about the same price as what I'd sell the other for... so it's like even exchange. I also like how wide 17 is! I haven't used a non-wide-only lens wider than 24 in a long time... since my 18-55 kit lens in fact!

EXACTLY Dude! I keep saying, an EF 24-70 2.8 L-series with IS would be KILLER! (thought something a little wider would be great) I would almost certainly get that if it was announced, but I'm not expecting it to be. We shall see! Yeah I think if I sell it today I just will pocket the 900 until the announcement and go with the 17-55 if nothing..... sheesh EXACTLY what you said... haha...

I'd still like to get more opinions though! I'm looking for someone who can come with some crazy reason to do something I didn't think of... sometimes it just takes the right perspective to go "Ohhh.... .good idea!" you know?

wow... I think I sound drunk. I promise I'm not! Just tired!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I have used the lens a lot, but I'm starting to realize that the image clarity isn't up to par with what I want in my photography.

Wow, you have very high standards! That's a good thing, of course. [] The 24-105 is pretty sharp. But there are a lot of lenses out there that are even sharper, so you do have some choices.

Should I keep it or turn around and buy a faster one with less focal length?

Based on what you've said, I think you definitely should.

I want SHARPNESS and SPEED

The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS is pretty much the only Canon choice that meets these qualifications. the 24-70 f/2.8 is definitely sharper than the 24-105 if you compare them both at f/4, but they both lose out to the 17-55.

If you want to consider some alternatives, I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 first. I think Sigma has poorer quality control. The Tamron is less than half the price of the 17-55, but the image quality is very close. The worst problem it has is field curvature, which is why the test chart looks poor in the corners at 17mm. (In real life, you wont notice this problem as much because subjects are not usually perfectly flat). I really like this lens and whenever I'm not on full frame this is what I'm using. (I'll probably keep it indefinitely -- unless I can afford to upgrade my backup body to full frame some day.) Unfortunately, the autofocus is loud and annoying and does not have full time manual. There is a newer VC version, but it's not quite as sharp.

In short, I advise the 17-55.

The EF 24-105 f4.0 L IS lens I have is one of my most sharp lenses in my bag. I also have the EF 28-70 f2.8 L which I actually prefer over the 24-70, but it is much less forgiving than the 24-105. Granted it's not as fast as the 28-70, but the focal length, color and sharpness are grand.

But if you don't like the lens, why not RENT something you're considering before buying? I'm always amazed how few people do that. For me it's worth renting a lens that I am seriously considering as a purchase to see if my hopes intersect reality. If you find the lens you rent is better for your needs than the 28-105, it's a no brainer at that point.

Mark

You should probably consider buying my gently used Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS [:P]

It surprises me that you don't find this lens sharp. I found it to be very sharp on my XTi, but when I got my 50D I was a bit disappointed, it seemed a bit soft until I used the microfocus adjustment. I found that the combo of my 50D and my 24-105L was front-focusing. After adjusting the camera to a +7 for the lens, I am getting pics just as sharp as with my XTi only with much better resolution, detail, and color.

Does your camera have autofocus micro-adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I have used the lens a lot, but I'm starting to realize that the image clarity isn't up to par with what I want in my photography.

Wow, you have very high standards!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Or a bad copy.

I agree another lens may be right for you but I have two of these lenses and find them to be sharp.

Mark

Mark