Thread: Rebel XS stuck showing busy, lcd not working

Rebel XS stuck showing busy, lcd not working

So I'm in Daytona for the Rolex 24 & my Rebel XS decided it to stop working on me. Its doing exactly what a firmware update was supposed to fix...does anybody know a way to load the new firmware once it starts displaying this "phenomenon"?

Firmware Version 1.0.6 incorporates the following changes.
    1. Some
      cameras may exhibit a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor does not
      display, the shutter does not release, and the busy indication remains
      lit in the viewfinder.

Pretty bumed since I rented a couple lenses to come down here which are now expensive and not very good telescopes

Anybody know where I can rent a camera in Daytona...

Re: Rebel XS stuck showing busy, lcd not working

That's a bummer. I don't think you can load the firmware while it's in that state. Did you try taking out the battery? Normally the camera will reboot after you take the battery out and put it back in.

Yea I've taken the battery out, memory card, lens, I've sworn at it, pleaded with it to work & pretty much anything else I can think of.

My XS has the same problem. Called the Canon support center and I had to send the camera in for repair to the tune of around $300-$400. Since the camera itself is only around $500 I am just trading it in for the 50D. Can't say I'm thrilled about it, I'm replacing a camera that's about 13/14 months old (read: out of warranty). Just waiting to hear back from Canon next week (sent in 2 weeks ago) and deciding whether or not I want the body only or if I want the 28-135mm lens for an extra hundred bucks (700 (body) vs 800 (body + lens).

Wow thats a lotta cash to fix it, mine is 14 months old as well, I bought it with my credit card so I am trying to get it fixed under the extended warranty coverage. Hopefully that works out so I can sell it to pay for the T1i I bought to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkilgour

I've sworn at it

That would have been my suggestion... ah well I'm out then.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30