Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: use it or loose it

Re: use it or loose it

could agree ore honestly... took the words out of my mouth.... PPL nned to buy point and shoots if they dont ever plan on getting better or using it for what its meant for... im a highschool student who has no money, a crappy rebel xt and i have been shooting for five years now.... I DEAL...... i would kill for a good camera like a 50D.... but ppl who dont know what their doin buy them and i have potential to use one but its in the wrong hands. The pictures that could be made with such a camera is a dream for me but i just dont have the money but i have the skills to use professional 1D series cameras and L glass ........just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by rustyholden

but because I get out there some of the pic's I have gotten have made it all worth it.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Let us see some of those pic's
    Mark

no need for that clemmb ... he doesnt have to show his work if he doesnt want to....a photographer presents his work when he wants to OR feels comfortable.... it would be more polite to ASK him maybe... i totally AGREE with him.... Always ends up worth it in the end and NOT because of money or benefits...

In general, I like the OP's first paragraph, but the second paragraph is off in the weeds. Yes, our gear (especially depending on our income level &amp; the cost of gear) should be taken care of, but not babied to the point of defeating its purpose in supporting whatever work we want to do. Yes, people always have and always will purchase and acquire items designed for one purpose, but use them for something else, or not use them at all.

The basic issue with "those people should buy point &amp; shoots!" is that: Cameras are not a limited resource!! If there were only 2500 5DIIs produced per year, and half were sold to chuckleheads like me who can only used them on the weekend, then there would be a problem. But DSLRs are EVERYWHERE. Dovetailing with Daniel's point, it's the volume from the supposed riff-raff that keeps prices down for everybody. Plus, who knows--somebody who buys a DSLR on a whim might end up falling in love with photography. It would be a shame to keep that from happening.

As a slightly more general aside, for those who think that their DSLR is 'crappy,' I would suggest taking a look at Flickr's Camera Finder. When I feel like it's my equipment that is lacking, I head over there and look at the absolutely stunning work that others are doing with my equipment, and also with equipment that is 'inferior.' Flickr is but a small sampling of what's out there, and there can be technical limitations depending on the precise work you want to do, but I dare say that the Rebel XT, for instance, is a damn fine camera.

thats a cool link on flickr there are some really nice shots on them for the XT. It is a good camera but i will have to argue that in alot of situations it hold me back personally. I think ppl who are gonna buy a really nice dslr should think again and buy one similar to the XT if they dont plan on getting into photography and like said before, buy a better one if they get more into it. I am greatly hindered by my gear but not always ... sometimes the colors on such a camera are just "washed out" even in daytime and are not what i am looking for. All cameras are good cameras in my opinion if they work. If it takes pictures then no camera is a "bad one". but sometimes a better one can increase skills and produce better results as new things are accomplished with the new technology thats rapidly increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

People buy their gear for personal reasons, and also you might think I'm crazy buying a 5DII and only taking photos in the weekend when I've got time? So only professional photographers and full-time users should buy expensive stuff?

I'm confused...

My opinion: there is nothing wrong with taking family portraits with an expensive gear as long as you enjoy taking pictures. It's not about the gear, it's about the man/woman behind the gear. If they believed they needed an expensive DSLR and could pay for it...let them!! Worry about your own pictures and think positive and think they might use the full benefit of the dslr maybe later in the future. See it as a challenge to make better pictures with your "lesser" gear than people with "PRO"gear.

I have to agree 100% with Jan(Sheiky).

I may have way too much gear for what some feel I need, but it comes down to personal priorities and preferences. Back before I was married and had kids I was really in to photography and had -- still have -- a very good film set of gear. When my kids came along I slowly got away from photography and began using P/S digital as a convenience. However, as my kids got bigger I realized how few quality photos I had of them. I had many better drag racing photographs than of my family. Last year I decided to change that. I am now committed to upgrading to the best gear I can afford and that I will use. For example, I may have too many mid-zooms, but that is the range which I use the most -- and find very useful. I work hard, often six days a week and as long as I am taking care of my family and other responsibilities, why should I not have the best I can afford? I do not smoke or drink, so this becomes my vice.

In addition, I (and some others) would argue that the most important photography I do is of my family. The pictures of my eight year old daughter playing her first basketball game are irreplaceable to me.

So by all means, use the best gear you can afford any way you wish, but keep in mind that in the USA, at least for now, that the rest of us are free to do the same.

Chris

I forgot to mention that I gave my point and shoot to my ten year old son and we now have a common hobby that we can enjoy together for years. Perhaps he will develop the drive you wish we all had, thus making my investments all worthwhile.

Hope springs eternal.[]

Chris