Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: use it or loose it

use it or loose it

Just found this great site, I have been reading some of the discussions on this site and one thing I have noticed is that a lot of members are paranoid about looking after their cameras, for me this is crap I have brought my very nice 50d and can't be happier but what is the use of spending all that money if your not going to get out there to take photo's (that's what where all about ain't it), and before you all say I have more money than sense, forget it I'm just an average Joe who has somehow or other manged to destroy several cameras over the last several years, and it has cost me some bucks that I cannot afford, but because I get out there some of the pic's I have gotten have made it all worth it.

So are you going to get a nice camera and just take family photo's(go and buy a point and shoot) or use your gear for what its made for getting out there and showing the world through your eyes.

Re: use it or loose it

Welcome to the forum, Rusty.

Regarding you post, I think there's nothing wrong with one buying a camera and never use it. Heck I don't even care if they put it on an altar and start worshiping it. After all it's their cameras and their money, they can do whatever to them as long asthey make them happy.

Good for your Rusty! Cameras aren't jewelry, they're tools to be used.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by rustyholden

use it or loose it

I loose my camera all the time; whenever the strap is too tight I loosen it a bit. []

I have been reading some of the discussions on this site and one thing I have noticed is that a lot of members are paranoid about looking after their cameras

Hm... I thought that was a feature. My DSLR doubles as a tamagotchi! I have to take it outside for walks, click the right buttons at the right time, feed it certain kinds of light, and change its memory cards whenever it cries.

for me this is crap

Hm, then I guess you really haven't learned the joys of tamagotchi. []

So are you going to get a nice camera and just take family photo's(go and buy a point and shoot)

I highly disagree. The more people out there spending money on DSLRs, the better. Increased volume brings down prices and increases R&D for future cameras for all of us.

use your gear for what its made for getting out there and showing the world through your eyes

If you don't, the tamagotchi will die. []

But what if I get dust on the sensor?

No way my 5D is staying in the box. Do you know what a mint in box 5D mkII is worth. Imagine what it will be in 5-10-20 years. I'll probably make enough to retire and buy my own island in the Caribbean.

So go ahead keep shooting boys, every shutter release ads to my retirement fund!

Hmmm what you are saying is that a lot of people on this site buy a camera and then they are to afraid to use and break it??

I don't really get your point here. Are you angry at people that buy an expensive camera and then don't take the full advantage of it? In my opinion you should not worry about this. There are more important things to worry about than to worry about other peoples stuff [:P]

People buy their gear for personal reasons, and also you might think I'm crazy buying a 5DII and only taking photos in the weekend when I've got time? So only professional photographers and full-time users should buy expensive stuff?

I'm confused...

My opinion: there is nothing wrong with taking family portraits with an expensive gear as long as you enjoy taking pictures. It's not about the gear, it's about the man/woman behind the gear. If they believed they needed an expensive DSLR and could pay for it...let them!! Worry about your own pictures and think positive and think they might use the full benefit of the dslr maybe later in the future. See it as a challenge to make better pictures with your "lesser" gear than people with "PRO"gear.

One song for you: Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy []

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

use it or loose it

I loose my camera all the time; whenever the strap is too tight I loosen it a bit. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

haha, Daniel..... that made me LOL big time...
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    use it or loose it
    I loose my camera all the time; whenever the strap is too tight I loosen it a bit. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    That's exactly what I was thinking!

I do use my camera. It's been dropped, sat on, rained on, nearly frozen, etc.

I think you raise an interesting point. I, myself, feel an initial reluctance after, having spent a lot of money on some camera or lens, to actually take it out into the real world where it gets bumped, scratched, dusty and in general messed up.

That said, a piece of well-built photography equipment is designed precisely to cope with such conditions and provided you aren't actually stupid with it, it'll last and last. So my reluctance lasts about 5 minutes, and then I am out with it to take photographs. That's why I have it.

Yes well thinking about it: I think this is the exact same discusion about cars. Why do people buy a big Range Rover when all they use it for is shopping and driving to work and never even come close to an offroad situation. Why do you buy a big pickup when you could do it with a tiny Mini as well? The answer: Because you CAN! Why would you go for something cheap and simple if you could buy something big and beautiful? People just want something special.

Yes he's got a point about the use, but it's not really worth the discussion I think. People got their own personal reasons for buying such equipment.Everybody's got their own way to express themselves.Respect that and just focus on your own. Don't get jealous and angry at people who don't use their gear as your idea of usage of it. If canon says you can shoot video with your 500D or whatever, it doesn't mean you HAVE to....it's just an option..

And a lot of the pictures you'll probably make with your 50D could have been made with a 1000D or even a 350D...again the user makes the pictures...not the camera, it's just a tool.

And yes I agree that if you are proud on your camera and shoot and use it with love...every penny was worth it! No matter what budget you were on or what reasons you had buying it...