Thread: Lens and Settings for Theatre Shoot

Lens and Settings for Theatre Shoot

Hi everyone, (btw great forum)

In the coming weekend i will be doing a theater shooting,

What tips do you guys advise?

I have a 50d with a 24 70 2,8 L and a 40d with a 70-200 is 2,8L

I guess i will be taking my old miranda sensorex II with a 50 1,4 just for fun since its film.

I read somewhere that they advise to put the camera in spot metering. I will be shooting raw.

Re: Lens and Settings for Theatre Shoot

Hey Cris,

maybe you should look at this thread. Also ask Kitaoka, the starter. He's done it before. Good luck!

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/t/2984.aspx

tahnkx really helpful!!!!

You have the gear needed to capture the shot. Timing is EVERYTHING. Select what you want to do. Are you going to follow a specific dancer or a pair? Or are you going to try to capture a group of dancers. Make up your mind early and stick with that plan when you are shooting. In the beginning it is SO COMMON to get overwhelmed by the sheer movement and number of dancers.

Try to anticipate the movement. Get them in full extension and watch for gestures with hands as well as feet. You can do a simple exercise at home before going to shoot. Take a basketball and bounce it up and down away from you. Follow the ball with your lens and it will help you follow movement. Seems silly, but it is a very good exercise. If you can have someone else bounce the ball, all the better.

Use an ISO that will allow you to shoot AT LEAST at 1/250. Use an EV value of -1/3 to start and you may go all the way down to -1 depending on light. Use Tv priority for this shoot. Be very smooth as you pan with the subject. Watch your breathing. Press your shutter smoothly. DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR IMAGES until intermission. You have TONS of TIME to look when you get home. I tell those who assist me that taking the time to look at your shots means that you are 100% guaranteed to MISS a shot which may be your shot of the night. Check twice to see if your exposure is fine and then don't look until later.

The 24-70 is a very unforgiving lens in high movement low light situations, use f3.2 most of the time and you'll have better results. Don't go down to 2.8 much, at least not when you're just starting dance imagery.

Forget about your equipment and concentrate on the shot. Spot metering is not what you should use. Use Evaluative metering and your center focus point. At the beginning you will have a tough time composing a shot off center. As you gain more experience, you'll be able to compose in camera. Right now you need to concentrate on timing, composition will come later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris

tahnkx really helpful!!!!

You're welcome []

With Kitaoka's advice it's going to be just great! Good luck and have fun!

Thank you guys !!!

But if i use evaluative metering the camera will try expose for the person and the background wich i will assume it is dark, the person will not becaome overexposed?

I was thinking in use TV mode with 1/100 at Auto Iso that on my 50d varies from 100 to 1600, to get the shoots.

I 'm used to use the center focus point always and if needed recompose the shoot so that wont be a problem. I will have to concentrate in composition and anticipating moves, and Never spende time looking at each shoot on the screen, just one to make sure that the exposure is right on.

Why shouldn't i use the 24 70 at f2,8?? because of the minimum DOF?

If so shouldn't i be more careful with the 70 200 which as a even minor DOF?

Should i use a monopod (with ballhead) to avoid some camera shaking?

i will have access to the backstage, so that will be nice... eehh

thank you for he tips!!!

Try whatever exposure setting suits you. I find evaluative the best in most situations. The 24-70 is a strange beast for focusing and it really has nothing to do with focal length and DOF. I have never used a monopod when shooting theatre, too cumbersome when in a live audience and backstage in the wings. If it works for you, use it.

well the monopod or tripod may be cumbersome...

The 24 70 focus well and spot on... ate least that is my experience in the low light work that i have done...

Thankx for the tips