Thread: For Macro: Close-up Lens or Extension Tube(s)

For Macro: Close-up Lens or Extension Tube(s)

Hi all,

Yes, yes, I know. I should get a dedicated macro lens (and eventually I will). But I don't always want to carry many lenses with me. So will a close-up lens or an extension tube be the best way to improve the macro performance of my two longer lenses: 70-200 (f4 IS) and 24-105?

I was leaning towards the extension tubes, given that I can use them on both lenses (they have different thread size; so I'd need two different close-up lenses), as well as ultimately on the 100mm macro I'm interested in. But, will a close-up lenses give me any advantages over the extension tubes?

Thanks!

Tony

Re: For Macro: Close-up Lens or Extension Tube(s)

I have a 25mm extension tube and a Canon 500D filter ( I think that Canon calls it a close up lens). Three days ago I got a step up ring (67mm to 77mm) so I could use the 500D on my 70-200 f/4. I did some quick tests using 1. 500D only; 2. extension tube only; 3. combination of extension tube and 500D. The minimum focus distance (MFD) is about the same using either the 500D or the 25mm extension tube -- about 12." The combination set up was a waste of time. It was very difficult to focus and I did not gain any magification. On my Canon 5D, it seems that I was able to use much of the zoom range of the 70-200 lens. But, on my 40D, I was not. I need to check this out again. When I figure out how to post pictures to this site, I will put up a couple of shots I took yesterday using the 500D/70-200 f/4 on the Canon 40D.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by rdavis
    Three days ago I got a step up ring (67mm to 77mm)

I already have one of those so I can use my 77mm polarizer on my 70-200 f4 IS (I haven't used it "in anger" yet).

Quote Originally Posted by rdavis
    But, on my 40D, I was not. I need to check this out again.

I have a 40D (and an XTi) too.

Another quick question: does it make sense to use either an extension tube or the close-up lens in conjunction with the 1.4x extender (on my 70-200)?

Tony

I have not tried that. Will give it a go and see what happens.

The answer depends on the lens. Don't forget teleconverters, they are another good way to increase magnification easily.

My guess is that the 24-105 would benefit more from the close-up lens,
    but the 70-200 f/4 L IS would do better with the extension tube. The only way to know for sure is to test all three options on each lens and see which one gives the best results.

I've experimented with both at various times...I have a 58mm Canon 500D filter that I used to use when I had a 70-300 IS, and I have a set of Kenko extension tubes. I prefer the extension tubes because they don't affect image quality and offer a bit more flexibility...if you have three different tubes, you have seven possible amounts to increase your magnification. With my Sigma 100-300, I usually use the 25mm tube, but I don't usually try to do magnification close to 1:1 so I may not be the best person to ask

The problem with extension tubes is that they decrease the amount of light coming into the lens. They can also cause vignetting, more so if you're shooting full-frame.