Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 1D Mark IV Digital SLR Camera Review

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV Digital SLR Camera Review

Discuss theCanon EOS 1D Mark IV Digital SLR Camera Review-
    Tell us what you think of theCanon EOS 1D Mark IV Digital SLR Camera.

Re: Canon EOS 1D Mark IV Digital SLR Camera Review

I've owned and used the 1D Mark IV since Jan 4 2010. Prior to that I owned (still own) and used the 1D Mark III for both my personal and professional work. I shoot primarily high movement/low light subject matter for both personal and professional usage. My impression of the 1D Mark IV:

1. Excellent AI servo auto focus, tracks my subject well on stage. Even better with firmware 1.0.6 Subtle movement is tracked
    2. Extremely good IQ at higher ISO
    3. Auto ISO is a true game changer for my work
    4. Auto focus point orientation has helped me get shots I was not able to grab with the Mark III
    5. 45 point focus selection allows me to compose in camera much more often than with the Mark III
    6. UDMA card performance is head and shoulders above what I was use to with the Mark III
    7. Have yet to test the camera in full rain, but have no doubt it will perform as well as my Mark III
    8. Prefer High ISO 1. Low over 0. Standard
    9. Love that I can save three different configurations of Custom Settings and apply them when needed

Several of my client's theatrical seasons will go into top gear next month so I will have loads of experience with the 1D Mark IV in my own real world experience soon. Next week will be my first chance to use studio lighting for publicity work with the Mark IV, but I have no doubt it will perform as well as the Mark III. If you're looking for absolution on whether the 1D Mark IV is better/worse/same as what you own, what you've purchased or what you hope to purchase, I can't answer those questions. I can only say that for my subject matter and knowing the type of shots that are my client's 'money shots' the 1D Mark IV is going to serve me very, very well. It won't make me a better shooter, but will allow me to venture into areas of low light that I could not have imagined just three years ago.

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]As an amateur and a current 50D user, I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on the 1D4. Most ask why I would want such a high end camera if I am not getting paid for my work. Well I just respond----This equipment is my &ldquo;Harley Davidson&rdquo;. Somehow, most folks seem to understand that. Now, back to the question. When I read the press release and some excellent reviews for this camera I thought, "this is the one I have been looking for." This is why:<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]1. It&rsquo;s got the normal features of the 1D series that I would really like to have ; Dual card slots, integrated grip and battery life, Build quality, life expectancy, weather sealing, expanded exposure bracketing (something I really like since I am starting to work with HDR), etc.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]2. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]The 1D4,has the speed (frame rate and ability save rapidly),dramatically improved AF system which also compliments the frame rate, wireless communication with the flash, Improved IQand that nifty horizon indicator and composition screens---though not required,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] they are just cool. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]3.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I actually like the idea of the 1.3 crop APS H sensor and am glad that Canon stuck with it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] A little larger and better IQ than my 50D but still enough crop to increase the perceived range of my current and future lens collection. The better performing higher ISO is also a benefit, though I doubt I would ever go above 3200.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Finally, the video---I don&rsquo;t really have the need or even the desire to do video,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] but,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] with new toys come new adventures---who knows,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I might even decide to try my hands at videography.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]So why do I want these features:<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] My primary passion is wildlife, birds, BIF and the outdoors in general:<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] IQ, speed, weather sealing and AF all benefit this effort.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I really like the looks of some of the HDR I have seen,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] and enjoy practicing that craft, so the expanded bracketing comes in handy.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] This last football season,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I took an interest in shooting kids sports at night and quickly realized the limitations of my current equipment;<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The 1D4 would definitely help in this area.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I am also looking for a camera that will keep me happy for 5+ years&mdash;the 1D4 should do that.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Finally, there is a comfort at knowing that you own the best.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Just like many Harley owners say,&rdquo; If I have to explain,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] you wouldn&rsquo;t understand anyway&rdquo; (this statement <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]is for those who aren&rsquo;t photographers).<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Bryan,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] as usual, <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]very nice and informative review<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Thanks,<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Bob<o></o>
    Bob

....and 30 minutes later it looks like another amazing camera I can't afford

Anybody having any problems with focus after the new firmware update (1.06)?

BOB..... I WISH I COULD GET THAT CAMERA! haha...

Even if you're not getting paid for your work.. if you're passionate about it and have the money, go for it! I do a lot of HDR myself and sports and events and I think this would be perfect. I own the 50D and the 7D (use the 7D primarily) but the 1D MK IV would just be perfect for me! Hey if you do HDR I think a NECESSARY tool is Imagenomic's NoiseWare noise-reduction plug-in for Photoshop. It is MAGIC... OMG no seriously... noise just DISAPPEARS! (which is good for me because I have a 7D). Any chance you have some of those HDR shots up on the web somewhere?

YEAH... GO FOR IT!!! Preorder now!

- Jordan

www.freshphotohawaii.com

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.23/HDR-Canyon-de-Shelly.jpg[/img]

This is the shot that got me hooked: Taken at Canyon De Shelly in the Navajo nation, just outside Chinle, Arizona. There are a lot of problems with this photo. The blown sky, the black band at the bottom that used to say "Photomatix" --before I purchased the software--Some noise, Etc---But I think you can see why this shot got me seriously thinking about HDR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    YEAH... GO FOR IT!!! Preorder now!

I wish I could-------I would even sell my first born for that camera, but he is 21 now and I don't think I could get more than a small point and shoot for him[:S]

Bob

Yeah I know what you mean! A Mark IV would have given nicer exposure bracketing!

Hey I'm gonna start an HDR techniques and photo thread... I know there is a "Best HDR" thread somewhere, but this one will be techniques too... see ya' there?

None whatsoever

Another great (albeit epic) review Bryan, thanks [Y]

So many things about the 1DIV are attractive but the servo mode looks to be quite incredible. I was particularly impressed withthe performance of the AFwhen usingServo AF to help maintain focus while shooting macro subjects.Doing thismakes a lot of sense.

Obviously the H1-H3 ISO modes are fairly unusable and I suspect this is mere marketing by Canon to get on par with Nikon's D3s. However, as Bryan mentioned if you need it then it's there, if you need it and you don't have the capability - you miss the shot.

I'm highly impressed with the 1DIV actually. I really love the integrated grip of the 1-series bodies as I could never go back to shooting without a grip for the ease of use in portrait orientation.

I'm going to have a hard time figuring out which direction to head when the time comes to upgrade bodies some time this year. I'd love to go full frame (but can't justify the cost of a 1Ds III/IV body) but I'm still unsure about the autofocus capability of the 5D mkII. I'm starting to get more into the wedding side of things so the low light AF performance of the 1DIV might well overweigh the DOF and dynamic range benefits associated with a FF sensor.

I'd love to see canon bring out anupgrade to the 5D mkII with improved AF performance in low light. I don't necessarily need the high frame rate of the 1DIV (although it does sound rather sexy clicking away like a mini gun) so an "in between" body would be my ultimate.

Very impressed all the same. Thanks againBryan.Yourthorough and hard work on this fantastic website is going to send me broke... and I don't care one bit!!! []

Cheers, Ben.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30