Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

Re: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I'm assuming this doesn't mean you can bracket 5 exposures.

I think it just means that you can do -5 and +5, but you're still limited to 3 exposures.

Re: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

I'm not expecting new firmware. Canon has previously only fixed bugs via firmware, with the exception of the 5DmkII fixes (improved movie mode, possibly more). I can understand putting some effort into pleasing your high-end customers.

I picked up a T1i in December, and don't regret it. I knew that with the 1DmkIV and 7D on their way out, we were due for a 60D/T2i at some point soon. I figured it would be around 6 months before they're announced, then another year to year-and-a-half before they drop to the T1i's price (I paid $599 for a T1i refurb from Adorama, vs. $899 for a new T2i).
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

The new Rebel T2i also has an expanded&plusmn; 5 EV exposure compensation rangeallowing for much more versatility when shooting in extremely bright or dark environments; or when shooting HDR (high dynamic range) images.

</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I think it just means that you can do -5 and +5, but you're still limited to 3 exposures.

I'm not sure it means even that. The quote frombtaylor is taken from the Canon USA press release. The equivalent statement from the UK press release (check out CanonRumors or DPReview) provides more detail: "In a first for entry level EOS, exposure compensation and bracketing can be set up to plus or minus five and two stops respectively, allowing the photographer to take a number of differently exposed versions of the same shot to ensure they capture a well-exposed image, even in difficult lighting conditions." (I added the highlighting.)

I'd interpret that to mean that although when setting EC manually before a shot you can go&plusmn;5 stops, when setting up a bracketed exposure in the menus, you are limited to three exposures of&plusmn;2 stops just like the T1i and others.

Who knows, either way I won't be purchasing a rebel series body. But it's extremely promising to see that the entry level DSLR's are getting such fantastic features. It really makes me anxious to see what willbe includedin future upgrades of the higher end bodies.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

My fear is that very soon entry level bodies like the Rebel... or even POINT AND SHOOTS will have HDR built into them. So you just enable HDR mode or something and it generates a very nice HDR JPEG right on the camera. I say I FEAR because currently people are very impressed with my stuff... and if it's in camera then I have to step it up another few levels to keep ahead. Now, I'm sure that it wouldn't look perfect... I mean HDR I think is something that a human really needs to give some direction to, as to where to smooth, where to sharpen, where to lighten/darken etc... but I do think cameras could have auto-HDR that still looks quite decent very soon. Here's hoping NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    My fear is that very soon entry level bodies like the Rebel... or even POINT AND SHOOTS will have HDR built into them. So you just enable HDR mode or something and it generates a very nice HDR JPEG right on the camera.

The Pentax K7 already has this feature (and I'm sure there are others). I'm not sure how well it works but the technology's definitely already here.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

wow, that almost doubles my poor old XTi's MP and definitely will improve the IQ. too bad I am firmly rooted in the "upgrade glass before body" school.

Many point and shoot cameras have digital Zoom. That is actually in camera cropping.I avoid it like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I think the 60D and 550D will have the same relationship as the 50D and 550D do now.

Sounds to me like the 7D is the 60D, then. Is this the end of the xxD series?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhy
    Sounds to me like the 7D is the 60D, then. Is this the end of the xxD series?

No. I'm sure Canon will release a 60D within the next six months in order to capture the revenue of customers who can afford more than a T2i but not as much as a 7D.