Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

Re: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

THANK YOU DANIEL!

I know this isn't like a HUGE, important feature... but it seems so insanely-easy to stick on a camera... and several Nikon's have it. For those who DO need or want it, it's simply silly not to have it. That's all I'm saying. Yeah I am a HUGE edit-fan.... I edit my photos a lot before I deliver them, but it would be nice in some situations to not have to, or to edit less by using this feature. It's very handy on the Nikon when I've used my friends. He shoots with a 500 f/4 and gets the perfect crop each time right off the camera. It saves him time on the beach and for me, I have to edit mine... then again.... I'm shooting at 800mm and f/5.6 so I don't need to crop as frequently

Re: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

i for one didnt see this coming. i am very new to photography and thought i had done myresearch. i feel like adumb@ss now. i just hope they provide a firmware update for the T1i. some of the software of the new T21 has to betranslatable. right? fingers crossed.

Dont feel like a dumb@ss. The difference between T1i and T2i is rather minimal; don't sweat it.

Yeah, for example, the T2i will be a lot better at high ISO, but some photographers never go above ISO 400 anyway, so they wouldn't notice the difference. Others never use video, etc.

In any case, even if you had waited for the T2i, it will only be another year before the next one comes out with improvements over the T2i.

WOW. 18 MP from a Rebel. Who would have thought?

Now the xxD range needs a major upgrade. And my 40D is ancient. []

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    Now the xxD range needs a major upgrade. And my 40D is ancient. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I am expecting the 60D to be similar in functionality to the Rebel but built close to the 7D. It will be interesting to see if Canon gives the 60D 18MP would it still be able to shoot at 6FPS. IMO I think if the 60D has to be made slower to yield the high resolution, it will somehow miss the point since I always see the 50D purchased by people who want to go fast but don't want to spend 7D money. If the 60D is just a magnesium T2i, why not just to get a T2i and save the extra weight and money? If one needs to go seriously fast, the 7D's price is not that unreachable anyway. -- Just my speculation.

I think the 60D and 550D will have the same relationship as the 50D and 550D do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    If the 60D is just a magnesium T2i, why not just to get a T2i and save the extra weight and money?

Well, for some photographers, the T2i body is too small for comfort.

BTW, there are some of the facts that I really appreciate:
    1. I am also a huge fan of the improved ergonomics. The larger buttons are really helping a lot especially when using the camera with gloves or setting the camera without looking at it.
    2. The movie modes are now on par with 7D, very nice if one does video.
    3. Auto ISO is a big improvement too. I sometime want my 50D to auto select ISO from 100-400 for me and it just won't do it.
    4. The wide screen will certainly attract beginners and it does look good
    5. New grip and battery looks promising and it does fit the camera a lot better

Just by looking at the T2i I give Canon a very good job! Can't way to see how well it performs IQ wise.

I wonder what the 1000D replacement would be. A T1i made cheaper?

and where are my 5D III and 3D???[]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I think the 60D and 550D will have the same relationship as the 50D and 550D do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    If the 60D is just a magnesium T2i, why not just to get a T2i and save the extra weight and money?

Well, for some photographers, the T2i body is too small for comfort.

The Rebel series is too small for my liking. I think I'd love them if I worked of a tripod or monopod most of the time. But the way the camera feels in my hand is really important. Not to sound all pretentious, but there needs to be a connection,a feel, a flow between the camera and myself as I move in, out, around a subject. Can't believe I just typed that.

I am waiting to see what the 60D is before upgrading my 40D. I think I want the 7D for the 8fps and AF system but I have concerns about the image sharpness. If the 60Ds image quality is better (due to green channel things Daniel talks about) I may for go the 1.5fps advantage.

The new Rebel T2i also has an expanded &plusmn; 5 EV exposure compensation range allowing for much more versatility when shooting in extremely bright or dark environments; or when shooting HDR (high dynamic range) images.

It seems HDR is taking over the world [6] I'm assuming this doesn't mean you can bracket 5 exposures. That would be great.

For maximum storage capacity the new EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR camera is the first EOS model to support SDXC memory cards.

The end of the CF Card??? I personally prefer CF cards because they're bigger and harder to lose.

My poor old 40D.... superceded by it's little brother in so many ways [:$]

Might be time to upgrade methinks- come on 5DIII!!!!!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30