Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

Canon announces EOS 550D / Rebel T2i

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020806canoneos550d.asp

Re: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

Nice...This thing practically makes the 50d obsolete~users who need frame rate will just buy 7D IMO.

Re: 18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D

Everyone saw this coming a mile away. The only question is if they fixed the gain imbalance (softness) and FPN issues (noise at low ISO) of the 7D sensor (I bet they have).

Interesting release at this point in time. I was expecting the 60D. They appeared to keep the same auto focus points as with the previous rebels so I would imagine that the still will put out the 60D, but I bet it is going to have more features that will be coming on the 1Ds mkIV. Might be a very interesting camera.

I just purchased the 7d last week and have been nothing but impressed with new toy. My only gripe since seeing this come out is the ability to set the top auto ISO for shooting. That would have been nice to have with the 7d...that is unless it was hidden in the manual and I happened to miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson
    the ability to set the top auto ISO for shooting

I agree, that would be really nice.

"In a first for EOS cameras, a Movie Crop function is included: An
    SD-quality movie (640 x 480) can be cropped to the equivalent of about
    7x magnification of regular shooting."

I really hope they include this for use with 1080p in that just the center 1920x1080 pixels are recorded (instead of the entire sensor and downsampled) to create "digital zoom" that doesn't suck.

Okay... am I the ONLY PERSON ON EARTH who thinks that the "crop" ability should be available for STILLS?!

The old Nikon 200h I think even has that. The ability to put a crop overlay on the screen and have in-camera cropping. I mean, I know you can do that in software, and I know it's harder to crop video than stills, so that's nice they have that for video, but why not stills?! It's SUCH an easy thing to implement... I shoot surf photos for tourists on Waikiki Beach with a 400mm f/2.8 and 2x extender. I use a T1i and a 50D (whichever I feel like each day). Sometimes if the surfers are a little further away, it would be so handy to have that in-camera crop...

Hmm...... I dunno.... ugh!

<div>

Okay... am I the ONLY PERSON ON EARTH who thinks that the "crop" ability should be available for STILLS?!

The old Nikon 200h I think even has that. The ability to put a crop overlay on the screen and have in-camera cropping. I mean, I know you can do that in software, and I know it's harder to crop video than stills, so that's nice they have that for video, but why not stills?! It's SUCH an easy thing to implement... I shoot surf photos for tourists on Waikiki Beach with a 400mm f/2.8 and 2x extender. I use a T1i and a 50D (whichever I feel like each day). Sometimes if the surfers are a little further away, it would be so handy to have that in-camera crop...

Hmm...... I dunno.... ugh!
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    <div>

</div>
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan

I think it would be great. We should be able to select a crop region and/or digital zoom as metadata and/or raw. Portrait photographers would save time in post processing by selecting 8x10 and composing for it ahead of time. Wildlife photographers could reduce disk space and raw conversion time by cropping the part they were never going to use anyway. There are many applications.