Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which lens is the best for UWA ?

Re: Which lens is the best for UWA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I'm a rebel I went with the 11-16mm f/2.8 because I liked that it was fast and sharp. IT IS..... SHARPNESS IS INSANE. Now, this is on my 7D body. I haven't tested it on anything else yet. But I must say... it's fast, excellent IQ, colors, corner to corner sharpness - even wide open! Beautiful lens and I'm happy with my decision.

And it's possible that I got two copies of the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 from the same batch (as they were purchased from the same retailer) that exhibited sub-par focusing. It should be noted, though, that quality control may be an issue pertaining to that lens in particular. If you decide on the Tokina 11-16mm, just make certain the retailer has a good return policy. You may receive a fantastic copy that surpasses your expectations--or you may get one of the two that I returned. :-)

I will say this--I really liked the Tokina's build quality. It is very heavy (built like a tank).

Quote Originally Posted by sirhc_1

Hi everyone!

I just want to know which one is the best for crop body (1.6) camera. I am actually stuck between the following: Sigma 8mm fisheye, Tokina 17mm AT-X PRO, Tokina 10-17mm DX, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Tokina 12-24, Canon 14mm & 15mm, Canon 10-20, or Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZE mount. BTW, Im on a Canon 40D.

I am particular with angle of view but leaning more to IQ as I know I can create a panorama w/ WA lenses. Corner to corner resolution will be the big problem when "de-fishing"a fisheye. Can I have the best of both worlds? (really wide angle FOV & great IQ).

Your suggestions are highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The Canon 14mm would probably be the best choice, as it offers the best IQ and build quality and you would still be able to use it when you upgraded to FF. If you have $2000, absolutely go for the canon 14mm f/2.8.

If that's too much $$$ the Canon 10-22 is another good option. The Zeiss is equivalent to 33mm on a 1.6 body; this isn't "UWA". Manual focus doesn't help. Sigma, Tokina and Tamron make nice lenses, but most of the time it's worth just forking it out for the Canon lens. There are exceptions, but Canon has two great options here.

brendan

Haha! Actually I ALREADY got my lens... about a week ago. So far it's been GREAT. Corner-to-corner sharpness, even wide-open. f/8 seems to be the sweet spot, as with most lenses, but AF seems to be great! Yes, if you got some bad copies, that is something to note, but Sigma is KNOWN for poor QC and I don't think anyone else is... but it's always possible! Dang, even with Canon is a remote possibility. Maybe that was the reason I didn't like the Canon I used.

Ah yes, I didn't mention that one because it's not specifically for 1.6x crop BUT it is pretty wide on those bodies still and it's SEXY-SHARP! Problem is it can't take filters... and it's $2000. Those are two biggies for me - but I've rented that lens a whole bunch of times and it's amazing IQ! I've used that lens on a 5DMKII and on my 7D and wow!

Jordan, who did you buy your lens from?

Well I bought two lenses from Kaimuki Camera here in Honolulu (18-135mm IS for my girlfriend and my now sold 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM from a 5DMKII kit) and then the most recent lens I bought was from Adorama: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. The rest of my lenses I all bought from B&H.

+1 for the Canon 10-22mm.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30